Singlespeed advice

jamiebertie

Kona Fan
Hi,

have decided to smarten up my first road bike, an old Team dawes from the 1980s. Reynolds 500 etc... Have not got a singlespeed so after powder coating am going to stick an 18 tooth campag wheel found on ebay on the back. What size do I need up front. Am not Graham Obree but want to have some fun without killing myself.

Cheers

jamiebertie

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 842
A 47t or close to it would be about right.

42/16 gives roughly a 70" gear (and that's a common starting point) and 42*18/16 gives 47. A couple of teeth either side wouldn't be the end of the world: you might find it easier to get your hands on a 46 or 48t, for example. If you live on the flat you could try something a touch higher.

Singlespeed

thanks for the advice. Was going to slap on the 52 tooth, but now see that is not the right way forward.

May experiment now. Have an old 46tooth MTB chainset.

Cheers

where i live, a 42 or 44 would be about right (aim for low to mid 60's inches). With anything higher, there'd be lots of walking involved; the downsides is lots of twiddling downhills, but at least there is the option of back braking on the pedals.

thanks for advice, will keep experimenting with different ways.

Might have a very tatty uphanger, I bought a new kona style one by googling it and getting it for about a tenner.

jamie

Agree with one-eyed_jim. I live in Leeds where everything is uphill both ways and 70" (42/16) fixed does me fine.

I mainly ride 42*18, on a mixed urban / country course.
And for commuting.

It is versatile enough to have good speed in the traffic, and accelerate really hard when I want to have fun.

On long downhill roads, I do coast though or spin my legs like a 10-year-old riding down a bridge... :LOL:

I love SSing, but it has to be fun!

;)

Latest posts

Back