Single speeds, what is it about them ?

Single speeds, is breaking chains a regular thing ?

I broke the chain going up my hill obviously grinding too high a gear, I tried to do it in the middle ring not the granny.

Also my riding style is stay in the saddle not climb out and gronk on up hill climbs, so spinning in low gears keeps me moving, with the mantra; I will get there in the end, but I will cycle up this hill and I don't like the effects of breaking chains.

I thought single speed riders were mad. Until I converted a bike myself. Now I do more off road miles in my single speed, rigid forks, V braked bike that I do my full suss, zillion greared disc braked bike.

I could write a lot of words as to why, but I won't.
If you are curious get one and give it a go.

Chris

I sort of think that SS with a dished rear wheel and cassette adaptor is pointless.

And I also think SS with a chain tensioner is also pointless - just make the chain the right length, dufuses.

But, I do own an SS bike, it's a Lotus track frame with proper SS wheels, and I have put straight bars on (with bar ends!) and BOTH brakes, front AND rear.

Have to admit it's a weapon around city streets but I'm struggling to find a use for it now I'm out in the sticks. Looks good though.

As for fixies in London... don't get me started. I know they're not all bad but proportionally they're the worst. Just the sight of a no-brake fixie makes my blood boil. Thank god I don't have to ride in London anymore.

The point about SS being a reaction to increasingly complicated OEM offerings is a good one, though. I think we're all getting fed up with proprietary bits and pieces that can't be replaced by better/different aftermarket bits.

Using a dished rear wheel for a SS is not pointless as most people converting do want the expense of a new wheel. Also most SS hubs are quite expensive, where as a Shimano XT hub is cheap in comparrision.

grogee":dpwz2qkm said:
And I also think SS with a chain tensioner is also pointless - just make the chain the right length, dufuses.

How does one 'make the chain the right length' with a vertical dropout, amd adjust for wear?

bm0p700f":45nhe0lj said:
Using a dished rear wheel for a SS is not pointless as most people converting do want the expense of a new wheel. Also most SS hubs are quite expensive, where as a Shimano XT hub is cheap in comparrision.

i agree.....a cassette converter also allows me to periodically swap the 'singlespeed' element to other bikes without much hassle to keep things fresh....i only have one bike that has allowed me to find the magic chain length, the others i use a tensioner for.....as i say, it helps keep the cost down and maintain flexibility in swapping stuff from bike to bike as i dont like to only have a one geared option.... :D

Rod_Saetan":bn0c3063 said:
grogee":bn0c3063 said:

How does one 'make the chain the right length' with a vertical dropout, amd adjust for wear?

Exactly - some frame designs are simply awkward with their chainstay length (I'm looking at you Kona) so it's hard to get a sensible setup. On mine, both 32/16 and 34/17 leave the chain as baggy as can be. My LBS doesn't have any 16.5T freewheels in stock. :LOL:

OK, I could spend hundreds on a custom frame, but I can't afford it. Remind me to make a big orange arrow pointing to my tensioner, grogee, specifically so I can offend your delicate aesthetic senses... :twisted:

Well as I have two bikes SS with vertical dropouts I know I cannot adjust for chain wear but a chain seems to last a fair while and when it starts to give a little slip or gets to 0.75% wear (which ever comes first) I change the chain. I use KMC Z510 or KMC z82 chains this way it does not cost me much at all.

The term 'fixie' does conjure up a certain image in a lot of peoples minds and its not really that positive :D However like any stereo type it probably only applies to a small minority (if any).

The simplicity does appeal but the knees say No.

Back