Single speeds, what is it about them ?

matthew71":2h4fgds1 said:
looks to me like a lot off people dont know the difference between a "fixie" and a single speed mtb,bit strange that on a bike forum :roll:

Or that some people may not even be aware that a few mad individuals are riding brakeless fixed MTBs.
:roll:

Anyway - my own personal take on the subject is this -

For non-track cycling where speed/performance isn't an issue then fixed/single speed is fine in not so hilly places. Here in Denmark it's great - was going to make my son a single speed for riding to school..... Trend has not caught on in my backwards little village yet but TBH I think it's peaked everywhere else now - I've not seen another fixed bike yet other than my own.

I can't get my head around the idea, although I like climbing hills where a 1:1 ratio is hard work, I don't have enough weight to turn the pedals of a 2:1 or 3:1 SS up those so how on earth do you get up hills other than walking?

Ps) An ex UK champ I've been riding with who has 30" quads only managed to pull a 2:1 up the same hills.

If it helps I am not a pro racer but arround Cannock I managed both marked trails on my 2:1 ratio SS 26er. Hard work mind. The trick is you look at the hills and think walking is not an option and go for it. I did get off in a couple of places (but did not walk far before I thought this was wlaking lark is boring) as that day my tenioner failed me and the chain slipped.

Lance Armstrong was heavily into them during his preparation for his competitions.......they are brilliant to get your pedaling smooth at high cadence and great for giving you powerful quads.......my experience is that they make you look ahead and read what is in front of you much more than a geared bike......all of the above will be of great benefit whatever you ride..... :D

Also as a time-poor middle-aged parent it forces you to maximise the effort on your rides!

I ride faster and smoother as a result. I noticed it most after a winter of singlespeeding - routes that I used to need the granny ring on my road bike I would climb happily on 39x23.

feetabix":30uxscle said:
Lance Armstrong was heavily into them during his preparation for his competitions.......they are brilliant to get your pedaling smooth at high cadence and great for giving you powerful quads.......my experience is that they make you look ahead and read what is in front of you much more than a geared bike......all of the above will be of great benefit whatever you ride..... :D

+1

I never thought I would take to it, and gave it one last try..and it just clicked.

I was suddenly riding all my local trails and with having to push harder up hills, I then started to destroy my riding partners on thier geared set up.
This. Is . Very. Satisfying.

I also feel less fit now as a result of leaving the s/s for a few months and going back to a 1x9 set up.
Gears are for lazy people.

Single speeding is great if you want to get fit and when you get a great workout you get that adrenaline buzz that makes you happy.

I have ridden SS MTB since the 90's and raced a few times since, came last every time but thats because I'm crap not because of the SS :LOL:

I fixie on the road to, its addictive.

I have even raced a fixie off road managing 3 laps much to the amazement and respect of fellow racers, brilliant fun.

As has been said by others give it a go, ignore the arguments fore and against untill you've tried it and then after experience join the camp that supports your new view ;)

I like gears aswell mind !

I like the silence.
Nobody about, on the side of a mountain, no drive train noise just the birds singing :cool: .
Unlike the crash, bang, wallop of a geared bike, or is that just mine :LOL:

single speed

its those purists. , they hate gears hate brakes, i think some would secrectly like to see the bone shaker making a come back. :D single ring up front is a good compromise

Still need to know what they are like on hills, as where I live, it is down a steep hill, the sort that on an OS map is indicated by one chevron, then up another the same, then down, then up again even higher, just to get to the local shops a mile away. On a a multi geared bike, it is do-able albeit slowly on the climbs and always on the granny, so I wonder about these single speed things, and that because I saw one for the very first time locally in the last week. The rider seemed to be part of a contingent of three people and the single speed was in front whilst the one at the end was pushing his bike up the hill, a multi geared road bike and the one in the middle was riding but on an old mountain bike, but a few hundred meters behind the single speed road bike whose rider was craning his head back obviously looking where his mates were, mind that rider did look kind of healthy compared to the other two and was the only one wearing a helmet.

Go to the shops without changing gear?

It's all about technique with a SS, not just brute force and lung power... although that may come later.
Carry your speed from the down, into the up. Don't slow down to a grinding pass as you would in the granny gear, as soon as you start to climb
Choose a middle ish gear on the cassette, and the middle ring

G

Back