Single speeds, what is it about them ?

ishaw":1ceyfbmh said:
My experience from my daily commute is that singlespeed riders are dangerous as they never want to stop at lights.

I ride a SS MTB through London on my commute, I also stop at red lights, use lights on my bike when necessary, don't ride on the pavement, don't listen to music via headphones, signal when I turn and don't try and cut other cyclists up. There are some cyclists who do none of these things and also use a bike with one gear. There are also a number of actual idiots who ride 'normal' bikes through red lights whilst listening to a Walkman and do their utmost to piss of every taxi and bus driver.

I don't think that a cyclist saying that 'singlespeed riders are dangerous' on a public cycling forum is constructive.

Also, there is something of a distinction between SS MTB riders, and 'fixies' in cities, I have been riding a singlespeed MTB for over a decade, but I have no interest in riding a fixed gear Lo-Pro with risers through a city.

Give one a go, if you like it great, if you don't thats fine too, they're not for everyone.

You will notice that there are just as many SS haters as there are SS evangelists, for some reason the bikes other people choose to ride can be a very emotive subject....

FWIW, they are quiet, smooth, low maintenance, robust, and yes they are fine in Devon and anywhere else, been merrily bashing away on one gear for the last 15 years (12 of them in Devon).

They aren't really quicker or slower, its more about the rider. I've used them when racing solo at MM and other 24hour races over the years and generally my lap times are similar whether I'm riding geared or SS.

Also, there is something of a distinction between SS MTB riders, and 'fixies' in cities

QFT. I'm frankly amazed how many cycling enthusiasts are unable to distinguish these two things.

It is true that a lot of fixies waddle about.

No reason for it, just anticipate stopping and accept it as fate.

Generally, ss are fine for a lot of riding, but it should be noted that most of the population reside in the flatter realm, so when talking about the UK one should not refer to it as 90% or whatever suited to ss.

It is just that 90% of riding is done on 10% of our land.

:)

Do I count as a coldpaley listener, never heard of them didn't they support The Velvets at Max's once?[see what I did there?]

I was riding up the last hill I have to ascend on my daily ride today, OK some might call it a road with a slope, on mountain bike tyres I am changing down to the middle sprocket and wondering if today is the day I don't make it. Anyway today as I changed down there was this voice, "thought you were going to stop then" and some old bloke went sailing by on a single speed bike[uphill]!

I did ride a single speed bike in 1970, I broke the derailleur on my Elswick Hopper and a derailleur was to expensive, but the bloke at the bike shop lent me a chain tool so I could shorten the chain. I was not that into gears, I preffered to stand up and slowly tread my way up hills, so single speed was fine by me.

looks to me like a lot off people dont know the difference between a "fixie" and a single speed mtb,bit strange that on a bike forum :roll:

If you have to ask..

For me
1) low mainenance
2) simple
3) I love it
4) it changes your perception of what counts as hill (you have to see them all as flat)
5) great in mud

I can't get my head around the idea, although I like climbing hills where a 1:1 ratio is hard work, I don't have enough weight to turn the pedals of a 2:1 or 3:1 SS up those so how on earth do you get up hills other than walking?

Ps) An ex UK champ I've been riding with who has 30" quads only managed to pull a 2:1 up the same hills.

Back