single speed???????

As they said lol, years ago I built up my old WTR as an SS and yeah it took sometime to be fit/strong enough to do some of my rides, but its some much more enjoyable just pedalling and braking rather than having to think about gears, next project will be an SS.

Of course you can approach riding your multigear bike as if it were a single speed if you want.

No need to actually ride a single speed to keep things simple.

On variable terrain, there is no way two otherwise equal riders will put in the same times if one is on SS.

But day to day riding is not a race; you can generally vary your speed rather than changing gears all the time. I find that is the way I tend to ride, up hill I crawl in lowest gear, down in middle ratio somewhere.

Bit like setting your corner when driving.

I am too busy looking at the scenery generally to worry about my pace.

Perhaps he can get away with a lower ratio, if he is determined to stick with SS?

:)

Tell him to man-up and stop being a pansy. I am faster on a SS than a geared bike over mixed terrain. It's all about switching your brain off and going for it. Full commitment required on every hill.

Remember the SS mantra 'momentum' keep that in mind and a good time is garaunteed! Trust me I'm not a Dr.

Well,that and the bestest lightest wheel/tyre combo you can afford.

al. :D

99%???

C'mon!

There are parts of trails that you are up on the pedals in the lowest normal ratio on a geared bike, so unless you are gearing your SS at that it is just NOT the case.

Or is that 99% based on your normal choice of riding?

I have been experimenting with SS lately and would say 70% of my normal riding is practicable, I agree with improved technique and fitness that would go up a bit, but I don't think it would go past 80%.

Of course, I have absolutely no objection to getting off and pushing where needed. A lot of people going up the trails are doing just that with their downhill bikes.

Problem for a lot of people is that a low ratio is not practical for off hill riding, so a compromise is made.

Of course, you can just pick it up and carry it, it is a bit lighter after all.

But no amount of strength is going to allow you to finesse up anything steep + technical unless you have a decently low ratio, and then you are stuck with that if you have to ride home on the level.

So...

Flip flops.

But I consider a flip flop a two speed bicycle.

I would, wouldn't I?

;)

i agree with pickle
99% of the terrain round here is s/s friendly and its bloody hilly
i find i climb more stuff on my singlespeed

Aproach SS like a Cyclocross race.

You need to go for it, momentum is your friend, be braver with your braking ie do it less and if you meet something too steep then get off and shoulder it up the hill on foot.

SS is a state of mind not just a technical exercise.

Go for it, get in the zone and then you'll feel the benefit.

SS bloody kills me but I keep doing it, did two races last year one of which was a 12 hour enduro and next year I'm off to SS Euro Champs in Belgium :D

Riding bikes is supposed to be fun, though it can get a bit serious...
SS is inherently silly and so can ONLY be regarded as fun.

Try the following:

* Don't use too high a gear.
* Look ahead & pick up some speed well before you reach the climbs: Momentum & commitment = good.

On climbs, pedal harder and CONTINUE pedaling.
If necessary, stand up and mash the pedals even harder. Bar ends are very good for honking up hills on a SS.

Eventually, on silly steep climbs, you'll stop and fall over.
This is the "cake threshold", where you get off and push - It's a nice chance to enjoy the scenery and some of the tea and cake you packed - and no less fun.

Ride the SS more - it'll get easier and more fun.

If the OP could check what gearing his bro is using maybe it would shed some light.

There really is no 'sweet spot' for a SS, it all depends on what you are doing most of, and you have to gear accordingly, and accept a compromise of sorts on the rest.

That does not take away the fun at all in my view, so all power to your knees you freaks.

:)

Back