Silent Freehub?

K2edg

Retro Newbie
Hi all.

Can anyone help, i am trying to get hold of a Silent/Clutch Freehub for my Shimano M732 rear hub but i can't find which part number is compatible.

The thing is i have two bikes one is a Muddy Fox Team Pro and the other a Marin Indian fire trail, the Muddy fox has a Silent ratchet and the Marin has a Extra loud Ratchet which tbh i don't like so i've always wanted to put one on but never got round to it :(

I did think i had one but after stripping the hub it turns out i have the wrong ones (I have a FH-T300 and FH-R050) so if anyone is clued up on part numbers or has a Silent Freehub i can buy of them it would be appreciated.

Re:

No such thing. Silent clutch was specific to the low end models you mention in the late 90's. They used a different style of setup

The rest use standard freehubs, 732 being a 7 so version. They are not loud though by any means, though you can here them. Loud are the CNC jobs of say hope, still a good lube and nice thin grease makes them much quieter and pleasant to use.

As Fluffy said, no such thing. Hub has extra bulky part to accept silent clutch freehub and that even for parallax hubs.
Silent Clutch freehub was firstly available on 1996s Alivio FH-R050
Folowing years it was from Acera, STX to LX model groups. Sometimes using same hub for few model groups.
For 1999 STX-RC it was part number FH-T400.
I did not seen FH-T300.

I don't want to argue but i already have 1 fitted to the same hub on my Muddy fox Team Pro, that bike was state of the art in the early 90's and has allot of rare parts fitted so maybe a one off??. I can say without any problem it is a Clutched FreeHub simply because i have a T300 and R050 which are the same (no clicks) they even feel the same when you move them by hand they just mount diffrently.

If i pull my Cassette off will there be a part number on the freehub?

I beg to differ about there is no such thing as a silent running freehub!

Just just got to keep pedalling :facepalm:

rider":2j234re4 said:
I don't argue. :) It is in effort to help You and learn few things myself. :) In case You have silent clutch freehub on XT M732 hub, It would be nice to see pictures as that may be one of and I am curious how they fited it on skinny 732 hub body.
TBH the hub assembly looks the same on both bikes (same Hub part number and same 7 speed cassette etc) i just thought it was an Upgrade? I know the stock Ratchet is quiet but this one is without doubt a Clutch (you can just tell when you move it and it locks instantly rather than on a click if that makes sense)

I may take the Cassette off and have a good look at it but its looking like its not some thing that can be acquired.

This is from 1996 Shimano catalogue, where it is firstly available to wide public.

Attachments

• Shimano1996.JPG
    Shimano1996.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 683
Ok, if its not a Clutch hub why is it Silent?

I see you don't believe what i'm saying so the only way to show you is to get a Video next time i have it out.

Back