Show us your disc modded retro

unlike mine lol

I dont think thats the case at all. In fact you've made a very sympathetic change. At least it doesn't have one of those brace bits. The tabs you've put on mean the brake itself is the chain/seat stay brace(well,to some degree) but overall it looks a lot better than the vast majority.

Don't them disc adapty thingies wreck canti bosses?

Nope.

Actually if such a thing concerns you. You could use a brake booster which would spread the stresses

On my Torus, I've used a brake booster attached to both canti pegs, but also as the frame has (what looks like a boss for a canti stop) i found i was able to attach the booster in three points.

Dont%20see%20this%20too%20often%20)%20(Large).jpg

Nope.

Actually if such a thing concerns you. You could use a brake booster which would spread the stresses

On my Torus, I've used a brake booster attached to both canti pegs, but also as the frame has (what looks like a boss for a canti stop) i found i was able to attach the booster in three points.

View attachment 856844
Very neat. Are they easy to come by these adapters?

I dont think thats the case at all. In fact you've made a very sympathetic change. At least it doesn't have one of those brace bits. The tabs you've put on mean the brake itself is the chain/seat stay brace(well,to some degree) but overall it looks a lot better than the vast majority.
Thank you, much appreciated. I have limited caliper options to any I like as long as its a Hope no.5 mini or C2 but the caliper is the stressed member. If I opt for a brace and mount the caliper in a more conventional position then any caliper will fit but its tricky getting the brace to look good, I am thinking of a shaped polished alloy brace bolted to two tabs welded to the stays and a conventionally mounted caliper for the next one. Still in the design idea pile yet though lol

Very neat. Are they easy to come by these adapters?

Increasingly hard to find. I might just put that down to there not being the same interest in Retro bikes, or the downturn on this forum, but If you put up a wanted im sure someone willl have something.

There's two distinct types
1. Full complete brake caliper - Which is the Hope C2 No2 caliper(pic 1
2. A similar system, that mounts the same way, as in it uses Hope frame fittings at attach, but I dont know for 100% if its a Hope system. This one is a simple mount, with an IS attachment(pic 2)
This 2nd type is more useful basically as you have an IS mount so can fit any brake. Pic one is Hope system only.
I had 2 nos of these up until recently(well couple of years ago) I sold both to pay towards my Ebike.

Pic 1.
DSCF2640.JPG

Pic 2.

Hope%20C2%20Servicing%20and%20replacing%20the%20seals%20017%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
after all we have Hope's C2 No2 caliper, designed to put a disc on a non disc frame. So upgrading the braking system bitd would be a normal thing to do

Rear end of my 1998 clockwork
The front end had a Z2 bomber, so discs were on the front at least. LBS suggested the No2 after i picked up the rear wheel in a swop and needed to find some way of mounting a brake to the non disc frame.

View attachment 856760
Is that clamp as supplied by Hope or is it after market ?

I've a C2 bolt-on conversion on my 90's Zaskar but it came with a different style of clamp. It's definitely a period mod as I fitted mine BITD.

Also does it matter whether you clamp around the chain stay of the seat stay ? I've got mine around the chain stay as IMHO it looks neater tucked in the triangle.

Next time I'm in the garage I'll snap a picture.

Not mine, but I am absolutely in love with this Pacific era Schwinn Jaguar, rolling on 27s
174403-241768333-369533954831254-6151784219480583995-n.jpg
190413-277951706-1429206740833692-1933574852455398456-n.jpg 174404-241838906-3080227548924887-3675000947610142407-n.jpg

Not mine, but I am absolutely in love with this Pacific era Schwinn Jaguar, rolling on 27s
View attachment 857391
View attachment 857390View attachment 857389
Surely that thing flexes like hell. Surely needs to be mounted on some fatter seat stays and even so probably no good for anything but a toddler or frail victorian teenager

Back