Show us your disc modded retro

I almost hesitate to put up a photo of my effort on the same post as the stunners pictured above... But will do so in the interests of balance, and to give hope to the mere mortals and bodgers among us 😂

Here's my 1997 Marin Hawk Hill.

View attachment 855084

Hmm, it actually doesn't look too bad from a distance! Just don't get too close 😂

I used a generic eBay copy of the A2Z disc adapter, of the sort that sandwiches around the rear dropout. They're designed for big flat ally dropouts, and require a bit of fettling with a file to get to fit properly on most retro steel frames. They are somewhat inelegant once fitted compared to the beautiful jobs done by the OP, but functionally it's been spot on.

I didn't bother with a chain stay / seat stay brace on my frame as the rear triangle is pretty hefty and doesn't have much give in it when riding, but I'm not sure I'd be quite as happy with this on a nice light springy frame.

I almost didn't want to make mine *too* nice, since it's purpose is to get me out when it's too wet and muddy to want to bother (hence the full mud guards).

However, while it may not ever be a contender for BotM, it rides ridiculously nicely, very capable but still with bags of retro character.

I like this thread - definitely in line with my take on retro-biking!
I think it’s great, it’s getting used a lot where it maybe would have hardly got used and that’s what makes it great 👍 and it looks cool too

Last edited:
That’s fantastic, what a job. It looks like it was designed that way. What size tyres did you use?
I ended up using WTB Sendero 27.5 x 47. Works out around 1.9. The wheel size makes a huge difference to the ride quality

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0622.jpeg
    IMG_0622.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    960.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back