Show us your bike history..

in the order i bought them in :cool: :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 2001 Diamond Back Viper X BMX (Dead)

2. 2006 Carrera Kraken (Sold)

3. 2004 Mongoose Thunderball (Sold)

4. 2003 GT Avalanche 3.0 (Stolen)

5. 2006 GT Tempest/Chucker Type Thing (Sold)

6. 2002 Kona Scab (Dead)

7. 1997 Raleigh Avalanche (Sold)

8. 2006 GT Ruckus UF (Stolen)

9 . 1992 GT Avalanche -RARE- (Given Away)

10. 1993 Orange Prestige (Sold)

11. 2003 Giant Acid (Sold)

12. 2005 Orange Gringo (Sold)

13. 200? Roadmaster MT. Sport (Dead)

14. 1992 Marin Bear Valley (Sold)

15. 2000 Specialized P3 (For Sale In Parts)

16. 1999 Specialized Enduro Expert FSR

Repack Rider":13z3mj47 said:
Took a '70s klunker out for a film shoot a few weeks ago. I had forgotten what a brutal, brakeless ride that was.

Ha we have two balloons within our number taking on a fairly technical course on klunkers soon. One will be using a drum and coaster braking arrangement. :eek:

Pre-school and customers bikes aside, my bike history goes something like this... these are the ones I've actually rode around one for a bit (ie not bought n sold straight away):

1980s
Raleigh Grifter - I recall painting this little tank in a kind of vomit design
lots of BMXs - I can't remember very well, but lots of Mongoose and Burners, some were stolen (from me!!!)
Raleigh Pursuit - first proper bike, bought by parents for 12th birthday and fitted with time trial 'bars hohoho
more BMXs - bought, sold and traded by the dozen with a couple of mates
Raleigh Criterium - massive 25" frame, didn't get on very well with that
Ridgeback 602LX - dream first MTB that I got on 15th birthday in 1989, nicked within 8 months from school, replaced by...
Pacific 7000 - 1990, my first alu frame - couldn't afford Cannondale - from York Cycleworks, cool bike, rare (they prolly all broke)
Townsend racer - donated by Dad and used for years

1990s
Claude Butler MTB - gentle return to MTBs, again this one got stolen
Raleigh Pioneer - cost me £125 and was my main form of transport for about 6 years... I won't hear a word against Raleighs!

2000s
Specialized Hardrock Pro 2005 - had about 4 years of use and upgrades, like a tank
Vitus 979 - first retro rebuild project, just an incredible machine!
Falcon town bike - first donation to new bike building project that I bombed around on for a month or so
Raleigh Activator single speed - donated by a friend, first single speed project, died
Saracen Rufftrax single speed - second single speed project, £20 on eBay, sold to mate and then kept going wrong which led to constant free repairs! but it handled well and got me into the much maligned Saracen brand
Dead Rat 1 - swapped for a pair of forks, some kind of cheap alu framed Kona copy which I ragged around for a long time, sold and it's still going strong
Trek 3900 single speed - best single speed bike I've had, which I used for about 18 months, really loved the old 3900 before I sold it on
* Marin Hawk Hill - skip find, got some of the Trek kit, frame for sale in battered but usable condition now
Scott Elite Racing - p/x which I ran as a rigid street 9 speed whippet
* Raleigh Team Banana - my uncle gave me this and I will never sell it... I rode it today!
* Dead Rat 3 - long term jump bike project that is now for sale
* Dead Rat 9 - my silly bike for Critical Mass, mass anodizing and adornment
Townsend single speed - made for £25 and really liked until I sold it out of desperation
* Specialized Enduro Expert - bargain second hand beast that turned out to be in need of some serious TLC
* Saracen Kili Comp 853 - current XC bike, lovely thing... got lots of bits from the Marin / Trek plus TF Tuned SIDs and my first SPDs
* Saracen Conquest 501 - generously donated by Mr Kawasaki and still to be renovated as a single speed, powder coated cruiser

* = still own and the 'Dead Rats' are nameless / not identifiable skip finds (the ones I actually used for a while). The 1990s were a bit a lean time for bikes as I rode motorbikes, went to uni, played in bands etc.... waster!

Right, here we go....

Pre mountain bikes:

Bmx style kiddie bike - broke the frame in half doing a jump involving plank and fallen tree in the middle of a field.

Raleigh Chopper - what can I say!

Boys Raleigh 'racer' - red and stolen after I got my next bike..

Peugeot adult road bike - went with me to Uni and the bomb holed streets of London (seriously, New Oxford Street is a mess!)

Mountain Bikes

1. Diamondback Topanga 1991. My first mountain bike - heavy, no brakes. Loved it!!!

2. Kona Firemountain 1993. My god, what a relevation. Nimble, fast, light, responsive. Why did I sell it?

3. Orange P7. Stolen after 3 months by a local druggie. Recovered but all good bits removed in the meantime and so swapped it plus £200 for the following bike...

4. Cannondale M900. Horrible bike - too stiff, handled like a London bus. I had no confidence in it.

5. Kona Blast 1998. Alloy and didn't like it.

6. Kona Munimula 2000. Alloy but at least it had better bits. Souless.

7. Kona Caldera 1997. Steel and great to ride, road tyres but made me realise I wanted steel.

8. Kona Firemountain. Bought for £40 from a chap in work in a right state. Brought it back to life and loved it.

9. GT Zaskar 1996. Bought it as it was cheap. 16" so too small and it didn't want to turn?! Can't see what the fuss was about.

10. Diamondback Topanga 1991. See bike number 1! Got it back off my father as I bought him a 16" Kona Hahanna more his size. God it's fast! Still no brakes.

11. Specialized Epic Comp 2003. Spotted by cce (my cousin). He's building it at the moment. I'm almost 40 and my back hurts due to misuse and supermanning into a rock pile at age 26 (Orange P7).

I'm sure I've had more but these are the main ones.

i have had a few none so retro though
some of the years i had these maybe wrong my memory is quite vague!

1. old blue racing bmx. real old school (1980's?) amberwall tyres and chrome wheels. inherited from my bro so i mustve been about eight! 1998
2. blue and yellow british eagle :LOL: full suspension, 20 inch wheels. (i kept the frame for a while and put some 26inch suspension forks on it, mad it ss and put the above retro bmx bars on it CHOPPER!!!) 1999
3. green rigid raleigh max. dont remember much about it 1999
4. a few cheap a## full sus bikes. a barracuda, some silver full sus with rst dual crown forks and blue macaw tyres to match (i swapped it for me brothers british eagle bmx which cost my mum £100. i bought it from him for £5, was purple and chrome). 2001
5. muddyfox pathfinder, turquoise with yellow cable outers. a muddyfox of some other sort, purple. a few no name frames. i filled me mums shed with 'recycled' framesbecause there was a pit of discarded bicycles. a huufy bmx with 3 spoke mags and a stolen merc badge to match! a white front sus saracen, was like pearlescent white. 2002
6. gt i drive xcr 3000. white with polished rear. purple eyeletted ambrosio rims on parallax hubs i think. deore vs, club roost go fast bars, dual crown mozo forks. (drunk 2 litres of cider and crashed into a bus stop! bent bars and forks! oops!) 2003
7. blue diamondback joker bmx. 2004
8. a blue barracuda ghetto, swapped for a yellow gt park tour bmx and then swapped back. 2006
9. gt frame got snapped so bought a diamondback coil ex full sus, has bomber forks, hayes nine brake and WIDE da bomb rims on deore hubs. has the fox shock from gt and truvativ hussefelt crankset. my street bike now. has 2.3 tioga skidrow tyres. kona dh bars and planet x beam me up stem from gt. snapped the rear end so had to buy another, its now silver and black! used to be all black :( 2007-8
10. gt xcr 1000 bought from barney rubble. waiting for a build 2009

theres more but not needed to mention

josh

Mid 80's. Checked this morning, my socks match..

lastscan3-1.jpg

lastscan2-1.jpg

to now.

41DXandStinkyPrimo0001.jpg

Regression?

These are the mountain bikes I personally bought to ride over the years:

1984 Panasonic ATB
1985 Panasonic Pro ATB
1987 Panasonic MC7500
1990 GT Team Avalanche
1991 GT Xizang LE frame custom build
2008 1996 GT Psyclone
2009 1997 GT Psyclone SS

Have many others in the collection GT's, Ritchey P-23, Panasonic and others that don't see/get riding time.

Past to Present Road herd:
1978 Sekai 2400 LTD
1980 Fuji Royale II
1982 Panasonic DX4000
1985 Panasonic DX5000
1989 Panasonic PICS Team
2006 1998 GT Edge Ti Ultegra 10 Build
2007 1995 GT Edge Steel Dura Ace 8 Build
2009 1997 GT Edge Steel Dura Ace 9 Build
2009 1999 NOS GT US Nat'l Team Edge Steel Soon to be Dura Ace 9 build

Split most of this season riding the Edge Ti and 97 Edge Steel and love them both!

1990 - Ridgeback (grey, unknown model) - stolen
1992 - Specialized Rockhopper - stolen
1994 - Sunn 5000 - stolen!
1995 - Breezer Lightning - still have it!
1999 - Giant MCM Team - sold
2006 - Carl Strong Ti - will keep it
2009 - just bought a 1997 Kona Explosif

next - Ibis Mojo steel

After the embarrassing kids bike bit:

1991 secondhand 1990 Marin Palisades.
1994 Marin Pine Mtn
2000 secondhand 1994 Litespeed Catalyst road bike
2008 secondhand 1999 Kona Cindercone

I've still got them all. The Palisades has been a drop bar tourer / commuter for the past 12 years. The Pine Mtn is in bits at present in the garage loft.
I rode a century on the Litespeed last Sunday - lots of nice old Campag stuff.
The Kona is largely for lunchtime blasts. It's a singlespeed, just been repainted...which was not the original plan for a cheap singlespeed hack... :cool:

couple of raleigh bmx's when i was young. did my cycling proficiency test on my raleigh.

first mountainbike was me mam buying a 'silverfox' out of Kays catalogue for me.

i wanted a muddyfox!

started seriously biking in mid teens when i was earning my own money with a Merlin aluminium framed beast

then later teens onto a; Kona stab dh, hahanna, and a Coyote Dual and GT lts.

Through my Uni years went through a few bikes

Orange Patriot, MsIlse, P7
GT Ruckus, couple of GT Idrives and an XCR
Kona kilaeua, Bear deelux, Chute, Dudu
Intense Tazer FS, Tracer
Cannondale V900
Santa Cruz chameleon
Azonic eliminator, ds
Sunn total
Turner RFX, Avalanche
RM Slayer

After Uni

Airborne lancaster
Dialled Bikes MX20, Prince Albert and Kobe Ti
Specialized M2
Orange P7, Five pro
GT Avalanche
Commencal 4X, Meta 4
Turner Rail

Recently acquired

cannondale v900
jamis el diablo
sunn revolt

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/ ... e_/Frames/

dreamlist

manitou fs
custom steel frame or a nice serotta etc...
95 sworks fsr / sworks hardtail
delta v1000/2000 frameset

so pretty much trying to find frames/bikes that were about when i started out cycling.

Back