Show us what you did today, thread

Was out yesterday on a lovely ride from Contin out to Meig dam with Brian (epicyclo) and Caleb. Calebs first time down this road.
It was certainly a good day for it, bit of cloud, no wind but quite warm.
While not a big epic ride it was good 4 or so hours out and about enjoying the beautiful scenery.
I had the Jack Taylor Super Tourer finally sorted, I hoped, everything cleaned and regreased, BB, headset, hubs, new tyres and it didn't disappoint. It really did finally feel like riding a new bike, quiet, everything slick, even the dyno that I inadvertently clicked on was hardly noticeable.
I got Caleb to take it for a ride, he doesn't like drop bars at all, but put it in a gear and said just ride the tops and see what you think. Well when I could finally prize his backside from the seat, he was all full of wonder at how nice it was. It's a start ;)
Anyway, good to be out mid week and getting a ride in with my boy.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Jamie

Just booked four nights at Contin, Strathpepper camp site. Not cycling but motorcycle touring. I leave here in the mornng. Applecross loop one day, skye another. Is it nive invergordon way? Or any other suggestions appreciated. Not bothered about the NC500 thing just pootling around for a few days.......

Just booked four nights at Contin, Strathpepper camp site. Not cycling but motorcycle touring. I leave here in the mornng. Applecross loop one day, skye another. Is it nive invergordon way? Or any other suggestions appreciated. Not bothered about the NC500 thing just pootling around for a few days.......
Sounds great! My recommendations are:
1) The Black Isle and Cromarty / Fortrose - very quiet area (even for Scotland).
2) Fort George - very impressive military fort - wonderful relaxing place to visit.
3) Findhorn - again interesting and not quite as expected. The Universal Hall is stunning and good cafes etc on site. Touristy but in a good way.
Have a good holiday and don't forget to relax a bit when you get there.

wheels acquired for my everyday easy trail/track/tarmack hack.

Attachments

• IMG_5651.jpeg
    IMG_5651.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5650.jpeg
    IMG_5650.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5649.jpeg
    IMG_5649.jpeg
    663 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5648.jpeg
    IMG_5648.jpeg
    815.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5646.jpeg
    IMG_5646.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 8
Sounds great! My recommendations are:
1) The Black Isle and Cromarty / Fortrose - very quiet area (even for Scotland).
2) Fort George - very impressive military fort - wonderful relaxing place to visit.
3) Findhorn - again interesting and not quite as expected. The Universal Hall is stunning and good cafes etc on site. Touristy but in a good way.
Have a good holiday and don't forget to relax a bit when you get there.
Relaxing now. By the roadside north of Perth. Either stator or rectifier let go. Joy. Was a nice run up all the same.

This is an edited version I posted about the JT ride in the general thread.

Last Sunday was the annual Jack Taylor get together and ride from Stokesley in North Yorkshire.
As has been the way the last few years this annual get together by the VCC and Jack Taylor Appreciation group on Facebook has gone from a weekend ride to just a Sunday outing. But what a great Sunday it was.
After having such a rubbish summer really, up here in the north of Scotland it was nice to get back down into some heat and sunshine. Normally this ride is on the last weekend August/start of September bank holiday, yet even with the earlier date it was it's usual sunny and hot ride through some really quiet and beautiful country side.
This year I had Caleb with me. He would be riding my Super Clubman while I rode the Super Tourist.
We travelled down the 400 odd miles on the Saturday staying at a hotel in Stockton on Tees, but not before stopping just outside of Stokesley for a nice Jack Taylor tandem ride with one of the group. A great way to break up a long drive.
Sunday dawned sunny, not a cloud to be seen and warming nicely. We made our way to the start at Stokesley and lined our bikes up with the others where they are all displayed before the ride.
There was a really good turnout with about 40 or so bikes I think someone counted, with about 30 0r 35 on the ride. We made our way in 2 groups through the lovely quiet roads to a lunch spot at Swainby, before another looping ride on quiet roads ending back at Stokesley. More cold drinks and a good bit of sitting around chatting before we packed and headed off for some dinner.
This year was even better for having Caleb with me. He rides all the time but not usually on the older bikes, except our Flying Scot tandem. He has grown so much the last 12 months though that he fits my bikes now, not sure that is a good thing ;)
He handled it all so well and I was so proud of him. He is not used to using drop bars as he has always shied away from them, he is not used to friction shifting or downtube shifters and definitely not used to riding in a group. All of which he did perfectly, you would never have known. Best of all he had a real blast and loved every minute of it, loved riding the Super Clubman and enjoyed the social side, which was helped by everyone being so welcoming to him.
He has his Wester Ross to get built as a road allrounder but I have already started putting tourist parts away and will most likely build up the other unused Super Tourist for him to use so we can tour together.
For me on the Super Tourist, well I think I finally have it dialled in. It ran beautifully, handled all the different surface roads nicely and while it has new World Tour tyres, they surprised me with how comfortable they were despite the design being a good age now. They are the 700c X 35 models. This along with everything being well lubed, adjusted and double checked meant it was rolling through the sunny countryside in the way I imagined it would. As close to how it left the works as I am going to get. Somewhere along the ride I must have clicked the Subito dynamo on as Caleb came alongside and said your taillight is on solid, never even noticed so that is good to know.
We then went on to stay down on Sunday and head to the National Train Museum in York on the Monday which was brilliant, before heading to Glasgow Monday evening to pick up mum and have dinner with family before heading home on Tuesday.
So a great Jack Taylor ride this year, once again. It is such a nice social gathering while being surrounded by some really stunning machines.

Jamie

Hi all, getting pretty slow in postings in Macretro land.
Anyways, it was a glorious day up here yesterday once the fog had cleared, quite hot as well, which makes a change.
I had to go and have lunch at the market where Caleb had his stall before heading into town to pick up a couple of electrical sockets. headed out on the Mercian for a change and so glad I did, only took a couple of pedal strokes to remember why I love this bike and its ride so much.
Once in town and picked up what I needed to I headed home but took the first half on the pathways and walking tracks around the coast. Great day for just meandering.
Hope it was nice with the rest of Macretroland.

Jamie

Back