Show us what you did today, thread

Re: Re:

velofrog":1ctpszod said:
...Harris is where the proper beaches are though, never fails to catch my breath, even in the bad weather! ...

Especially in bad weather. I love Harris weather.

Re:

today, I just dented my bank balance and ordered one of these!! :cool:

Attachments

• farley5.jpeg
    farley5.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 208

velofrog":20h4fsrk said:
Looks just the job for the beaches and bogs - apart from the horrible dangly thing at the back.

(That's not my usual prejudice, a derailleur is no fun if you're doing hike a bike through heather, and there's lots of worthwhile hike-a-bike stuff where you are. Sadly there's no option on modern fatbikes, through axles means no reasonable hubgear choice.)

epicyclo":1fmmjy5r said:
velofrog":1fmmjy5r said:
Looks just the job for the beaches and bogs - apart from the horrible dangly thing at the back.

Thanks Brian, I hope so. My last ride and your photos from when you rode out this way swung it for me... It’s an itch I’ve wanted to scratch for a while now. Almost bought a second hand Ice Cream Truck but this was only a little bit more and brand new so seemed a no-brainer really. I like the 29+ plus tyres on my Stooge, but on my last ride quickly realised that a 2.6 just isn’t fat enough on the rear, so I’m hoping the Farleys 27.5 x 4.5 tyres will make all the difference.

As usual though, it won’t remain stock 1x10.... :oops: The rear Bontrager hub supports different freehub bodies, so I’ve ordered a 12 speed micro spline driver from Mantel and I’m gonna swap over all my XTR kit from the Stooge. The Mulefut rims and the Gnarwhal tyres are tubeless ready, so plan on ditching the tubes too.

Re:

Mother trucker!! :shock: that's a beast of a bike! :D

The last few days I've been riding my rebuilt Orange Five, with just a small dangly bit at the rear, to keep Brian almost happy :LOL:

It's been a few years since I had a full suspension bike, and the last few months I've been riding a fully rigid bike, so I've been throwing myself down the local trails and so far have survived unscathed :LOL:

Attachments

• 20210313_080500_copy_2322x3096.jpg
    20210313_080500_copy_2322x3096.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 149
Re:

Nice bike Jimo, well apart from the fact it’s a singlespeed :)
Surprised that wee tensioner handles the chain growth on that Orange when the suspension compresses. You tested it at full travel yet?

Re:

Ha ha! Theres no fooling you Clubby ;)
I had been using an old rear road mech, but tried that tensioner at the weekend, it would have been fine if I only wanted 100mm of travel at the rear :LOL:

It's back to the short cage dangly thing now :)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1615833348452.jpg
    FB_IMG_1615833348452.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 112
Re:

Jimo, a bodger after my own heart. I always use an old short cage derailleur as a rear tensioner with the piece of cut cable. Way better and more adjustable than those supposedly specifically built tensioner for single speed. Also because they are built to use a chain not always in perfect fore aft alignment, you don't need perfect chain alignment :D

The Orange 5 is the bike I would like to ride but despite existing for years, they are so good they keep there value and as yet a utter bargain basement size large has never been spotted by me. Cool beans bikes :cool:

jimo746":rlrolujr said:
The last few days I've been riding my rebuilt Orange Five, with just a small dangly bit at the rear, to keep Brian almost happy :LOL:

As the crude types say when eyeing off someone else's girlfriend,"I'd ride that..."

I've always admired those Orange frames.

As few frills and bits to bugger as possible. It's the sort of frame that appeals to those who like simplicity.

Latest posts

Back