Show us what you did today, thread

Re:

The BY is set up for any bike with 26" wheels so I can carry stuff on any MTB I have even full sus, I've got a 26'er Long Haul Trucker but its got F&R racks but it will take the BY too. I've got a couple of set of Ortlieb pannier sets, If a bike was fitted with racks I'd use panniers if it wasn't I'd use the BY, horses for .............

Re: Re:

RobMac":25ryvs7a said:
Went and did my 15 mile local loop with the Bob Yak loaded, 20kg seems to much???? I should have put a little more air in the back tyre. Within say 25-30 mins I was used to the effects of the trailer, then after a hour I stopped thinking about it. It follows the bike wheels exactly so no problem on single track, speed up to about 20mph + and you have to stay sharp, wide bars, good brakes and cover the brakes at these speeds. So yes I'd give the BY the thumbs up

My brother uses one of those to carry his gear in Oz. He's been doing the Bicentennial Route - about 2,000 miles - and some of it is pretty rough. He swears by it (and his Rohloff).

He gave me a go with it - loaded on some concrete blocks - and I could barely control it. Obviously there's a knack. :)

Brian envious of your trails as always, would like consult your knowledge for a multi-day route in your neck of the woods some day.

Jamie the Applecross peninsular is a great ride, tho the section from Applecross to Shieldag is a tough but rewarding roller coaster of a road that seems to continually drop at 12% and rise at 14% all the way, and the cafe in Shieldag is braw

Got a multiday route coming up, round the Cairngorms, Blair Atholl, Braermar, Aviemore and back to Blair Atholl sorta thing. Hoping to get everything on the bars and saddle pack so I can take the tallboy, going to be a tight squeeze to avoid using a frame bag.

Re:

After sadly deciding to not do the national 400 Audax run this weekend due to just not being prepared, I decided I needed to get out for a gravel run anyway.
The weather up here has been pretty rubbish and this morning, while not raining, didn't look too good as it was black rain clouds in every direction. They were broken up and while threatening, it didn't look like rain was falling anywhere southward. I was up with Caleb and so sounded him out if he wanted to come on the Long Haul Trucker with his Yepp seat and we would head out to the dirt loop from Strathmore round to Altnabreac station, take lunch with us, see how the track has fared with the rain we have had and see where we end up. It was a very enthusiastic yes, so now I had to hope I could get him, myself and all the extra stuff needed for a 4 year, on the road before the rain hit.
We drove out past Halkirk with windscreen wipers going :( , parked near Strathmore estate and unloaded the car. Once sorted and after a short stretch of tarmac hit the gravel truck road to the start of the forest.
The first section was very rough as the logging trucks had been working in the first section so had redone the road in large blue metal rocks. Thankfully this stopped at the end of the loch where the forest proper starts and the estate road crosses the end of the loch and heads south. Then on it was loamy sand, touches of deep loose gravel and harder packed dusty type dirt.
It took a short while to get used to having Caleb back onboard with his seat, especially after blasting off road last weekend in Aviemore. Caleb plus the seat ends up being about 17 - 18 kilo on the back. Certainly not insubstantial but thankfully the setup I set out to build originally works fine, just need to take a mile to acclimatise. The Yepp seat is very well balanced and the quality over cheap Halfords type seats is obvious from set up to riding. The seat unit itself is a tube frame with a lightweight soft rubber type material seat with the base/seat/sitting section suspended for comfort. Its also perforated so if it rains the water will run through rather than pool. Its also designed to mount no less than 10mm inside the rear axle so no steering/ weight balance problems. Its always good on the road but blasting along some of the dirt sections today showed its real qualities, I was well pleased. When you move the bike you obviously feel the weight but once riding you dont notice any difference at all either steering or weight wise. The Trucker normally handles/feels better loaded and just takes this in its stride, very stable dirt or tar, loaded or not.
Anyway as is usual with a trip with the little one is to stop explore, play, snack often. I never let him sit there until he asks to get off. It needs to be fun and an adventure for him as I always think if he sits there until he's bored/sore etc then he wont want to get back on any time soon. So its a cruisy adventure.
The weather got better as the day went on and after heading towards the station I remembered the twice daily train should go past the station about half one, as it leaves Thurso around one. We decided to hightail the last couple of miles to see if we could see the train come through (he loves trains :roll: )
Unfortunately on the last straight, mile long bit of road to the station, the train came past on the right about 50 metres or so away, parallel to the road. Caleb was waving and the driver was waving and blowing the horn so he was well pleased.
We stopped at the staion and Caleb seen the old water tower from the steam days. We ate our sandwiches and malt loaf at the station while getting eaten by midges :( We tolerated them for a good while longer than we should of before setting off again. After me telling Caleb that there is only a couple of trains a day so the next one wont be until much later, the north bound train starts blowing the horn and the gaurd gesticulating whether we want him to stop and pick us up. Pretty cool of him I thought but it is one of those stations that the trains only stop at if asked. He slowly rolled through waving to Caleb with the horn blasting away. That was his day made.
We decided then to head back the way we came rather than complete the loop as by this stage we weren't even halfway round. So back we went, a few more stops and wandering on foot around the lochs looking for buzzards and other animals. Returned home after five hours, this after telling Heather we would only be a couple of hours. Another good ride.
Just thought I would share as I do normally but also because it was a different off road/dirt road ride for me, having Caleb with me made me very wary of falling off, thats for sure but made it much more than just a ride on a dirt road. Great fun.
I hope everyone else has had a good day whatever you've been up to.

Jamie

Clear to the south

Looking south from the loch

The station, lunch, midges

Re:

Sounds like you had marginally better weather than we did Jamie - on my 30 mile road route this morning I got soaked, dried off and soaked again repeatedly! Good to get out though and I did end up just about dry.

Spent the afternoon finishing off this project with my son...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ftzf2pofbz8u ... 8pldyXa12a

It's my wife's old bike, it was going to be a functional "only replace stuff that's broken" rebuild but we ended up replacing very nearly everything as we started getting picky about cosmetics too. It's his first "proper" bike, hopefully we will be able to do more cycling together now - cycles with him on a BMX over the past few years were rather trying for both of us! A pretty decent bike for the £134.89 spent I think...

Hi mate
We were lucky with the weather, it looked like we were about to get rained on a few times but luckily we missed it.
That Kona looks nice and should last a while for a growing boy ;)
My little mans just fitting a 16inch so thats next on the list, thats to go with his tag along, trailer, Sun/Raleigh tiny kids bike, which to be fair he has well outgrown hence the need for the 16. He is still on his training wheels though. In his own time I suppose. The Yepp seat is for touring and going over to Orkney next month as he is too little to do that many miles on a tag a long, especially when I cant see him. I dont fancy the trailer for weekend tours now as he is getting heavier and he still falls asleep in it. :)
We are saving for a Surly Big Dummy frame and fork. One day maybe :)

Jamie

Another grand day out with Brian yesterday :)
I headed south as Brian had mentioned doing a road, some gravel ride around the Black Isle way. A nice cruise and some lunch out etc. The weather gods changed the plans somewhat and we ended up doing a big loop type ride, Dingwall, muir of Ord, Beauly for lunch then a gravel ride through the hills to Marybank, then more of the gravel I know to Strathpeffer and then off road to Dingwall.
A bit more off road than I anticipated but nothing the LHT couldn't handle. The last bit of off road was a track thats overgrown and boggy even on the Pugsley but it was even worse this time through and the trucker made it but my legs didn't like that much stinging nettle and thistle damage.
The second half was cool to ride on the Trucker as have done it a few times now on the 1X1 and the Pugsley.
The weather gods were kind to us, especially as we could see it coming down to the north and west. With the sun shining on us most of the day, especially whilst sitting outside having lunch.
Thanks again mate :)
Hope everyone else had decent weather and got outt for a ride

Jamie

Come on a bike ride he said, quiet road, might be some puddles and some sticks, but nothing to worry about ;)

After a stop and a wander through the forest looking for the ancient fort

Up in the hills

The clouds are chasing you Brian

Nice view and a longing to ride up a dirt track we can see several 'hills' over

This is the ewya, ewya, feck track. i couldn't actually see a track but all I could say was ewya, ewya, feck as the stinging nettles got my legs, the thistles got the rest of me and kept hitting my hands. :eek: :eek:
Here is Brian showing the track at its best :)

Back