Show us what you did today, thread

Thats the problem with DeKerf's, you might save someone from a burning building full of Fat's but no right thinking mtb'r would leave a DeKerf behind.
As i've said before, I'd only heard of Fat City Cycles once I joined retrobike but I knew all about DeKerf's :cool:

Gaz you have a truly nice bike there, look after it ;)

the problem with de-kerfs is its a blandole steel ht that the builder added quirkyness to by not being bothered to bend/mitre the seat stays properly
so just drilled and welded them together , later ones had added quirkyness of having coinage welded to the open tube ends
result ,nice light whippy hard tail turned into a jack hammer

nice tho

They are nice, its possibly why On-Ones initially at least were so popular as they are definitely DeKerf inspired. First one I ever seen had me drooling as they were so different. A SS DeKerf frame in green camo coloursheme would be rather nice or a softtail :cool:

mikee":k7khl39o said:
the problem with de-kerfs is its a blandole steel ht that the builder added quirkyness to by not being bothered to bend/mitre the seat stays properly
so just drilled and welded them together , later ones had added quirkyness of having coinage welded to the open tube ends
result ,nice light whippy hard tail turned into a jack hammer

nice tho

take you did not get along with the ride mikee? Interesting to get your thoughts on this as there are so few folk that own or have riden one.

I'm the opposite Velo, heard of fat bitd never heard of the dekerf- both seem to have the same craftmanship will see how it feels to ride- am thinking the rc 36 fork I have will not be up to the job so any suggestions on a good fork in the 60-80mm range, indeed up to swap the pace if you do have?

reading that back gazz , does seem a little harsh maybe
just like a lot of hi-end or boutique steel hard tails they just seem to lack that extra bit they get credited with
maybe just me but imho the nicest steel hard tail iv'e ridden is a db axis
all the others from fats furq's cotic dialled and on and so forth
were just as good as the diamond back

the de-kerf i rode, felt ponderous (best i can say )
one of the reasons iv'e not yet spent big money on a steel ht

that saracen will probably be as good to ride if not better
i await your apprasial
mike

Never rode DeKerf, can't comment how it ride but they're so nice. Never heard of before join here and was aware of Fats but rather hater than fan. Always thought it's just overpiced hyped tad from US.
Yes, in most cases boutique hand made frame is all about craftmanship and quality, which ride same good as Taiwan mass frames. But that custom handmade twist is what you pay for. I always wanted to know what's difference between 92 filled brazed Psyclone and tig Taiwan Karakoram or Avalanche. Same tubing, same angles. Probably not much if any but still would love to have Psyclone.
Bottom line:
I swear there's something magical how Wickeds handle. I only own one couple years ago just for curiosity is it true what people say about them. Bought third one recently and I'm obsessed by this frames. I've got bug about Wickeds which can't be cured thanks to this damn website :evil:

I'm known as a lover of blue collar bikes which I do but partly this is because I cant justify my limited funds on something boutique.

Unsurprisingly my steel hardtail choice is a DeKerf but I would want a new one not something 2nd hand so I've shot myself in the foot from a purchase point of view but oneday a modest lottery win might come my way.

Alloy hardtail dream bike is a Nicolai. I dont really know why other than I love their modern almost industrial design,

Full sus a top end carbon Cannondale with all the weight saving trimmings.

A recumbent also, something German or Dutch, front wheel drive and fast :cool:

for me the steel wish list would be a fillet ritchey

alloy dream bike would have to be a cunningham or a cunningham mantis

full sus would be am astars full susser ,or the mythical GT rts carbon

everything else is in my shed :LOL:

Always an interesting subject :) I honestly think the 'ride qualities' of bikes only serve to justify our purchase to an extent. Personally I'd say fit and geometry trumps material and maker every time, but we all(you to Velo it seems!) covet the cool bikes or rare or high end boutique or just something a bit different. Of course the two things do not stand alone, maybe how much you enjoy riding something is down in part to its rarity or mystique!

FWIW the Karakorum with tall forks and the steel Kona V gave me are/were two of my favourite riding bikes. The new Vicious is gaining ground on them though :D ...oh and the Ritchey is the best riding retrobike I've had, which I'll admit is in no small part to cache and coolness.

Back