Wanted Shimano XTR FC-M950 Chain ring set

Yazsan55

Retro Newbie
I am after superb condition Shimano XTR FC-M950 Chain ring set (arm not necessary if not available) to match the rear set in superb condition. Cycle shop technician advised me to have similar wear front and rear if not no wear.

Any question is welcome!

I have this set which in pretty decent shape.

Attachments

• PSX_20240817_001108.jpg
    PSX_20240817_001108.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 10
  • PSX_20240817_001124.jpg
    PSX_20240817_001124.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PSX_20240817_001143.jpg
    PSX_20240817_001143.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PSX_20240817_001154.jpg
    PSX_20240817_001154.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Ian for this. Would you mind PM me for more info and cost, as I somehow can not find how to do it : (

The front rings will wear differently to the harder rear sprockets, and the comparatively soft material (and greater tooth count) of the chainrings wont wear the chain like a worn cassette.

Middle rings need replacing before outer, unless you're a time triallist.
Inner ring life depends on riding style.

These xtr rings have provlems with the anodised coating lifting off the very soft inner material - but then they weren't designed to last 25 years!

The front rings will wear differently to the harder rear sprockets, and the comparatively soft material (and greater tooth count) of the chainrings wont wear the chain like a worn cassette.

Middle rings need replacing before outer, unless you're a time triallist.
Inner ring life depends on riding style.

These xtr rings have provlems with the anodised coating lifting off the very soft inner material - but then they weren't designed to last 25 years!
Many thanks for your advice. I barely use inner ring unless going very steep hill with camping gear on the back. Outer ring is my main one. It’s very hard to decide if I should go new (hard to come by) or buy decent condition used like these to match cassette I bought….

The large ring wears more slowly than the other 2, and because there's more chain wrap, it's rare to see one become unusable.
As a result they are also more common used - its the mid ring that is unobtainable nos.
I'd have outers on their own in stock, but no middle for sure.

The large ring wears more slowly than the other 2, and because there's more chain wrap, it's rare to see one become unusable.
As a result they are also more common used - its the mid ring that is unobtainable nos.
I'd have outers on their own in stock, but no middle for sure.
Many thanks for your further advice.

Back