Shimano XT parts , When did they become so ugly.

Re: Re:

jimo746":wr6vxh8v said:
Have you tried riding a modern 1x10 or 2x10 gear setup on a modern bike? If not, then you should.
Newer rear mechs are a mixture of form and function, the straight cable entry eliminates the usual loop of cable going into the mech and also keeps it closer to the frame so it won't snag on any "Trail Furniture".
The clutch mechanism maintains tension on the chain when using a single chainring on the front, pretty essential if you ride on very rough trails to ensure the chain stays on the chainring.

The main thing is.... It all works, extremely well, New XT brakes for example are amongst the best out there.

The new stuff is an evolution of what went before. Personally I love the M900 xtr chainset, but by the time M952 came around I really didn't like the styling, but no doubt it works as well or better than the previous incarnation.

No doubt "fashion" plays a part in it, but that's always been the case, it's just that fashions have changed over time. The Zee mech I use looks like some kind of mini Transformer and I like it :)

Totally agree with jimo - I have a 1x10 setup with Zee rear derailleur/XT 11-36 cassette/Deore crankarms/Raceface 30T narrow-wide chainring setup on my modern ('07 Titus Motolite) bike & it works worlds apart from the early-90's offerings. Simple, tight, stable, precise, and never misses a shift. Performance has definitely jumped leaps & bounds, but looks have not (although I also think the Zee r derailleur does look a little "transformery") :) Also, the price increase in top-end offerings compared to back in the day are ridiculous - i'll happlily stick with a mix of low-to-midrange thank you very much.

I had the chance of both worlds of new and old riding.

The Zaskar has XT thumbies and 8spd - shifting is like gunshots going off, preslecting into 'beat the younger rider on a new expensive bike' without them knowing is nigh on impossible due to the noise but the resulting sprint to the finish (plus me riding home while they packed their cars) garnered a lot of respect.

The secret of modern shifting is the distances between the cogs - that gives the feeling of fast precise shifting more than anything else. Theres still cables to gum up, chains to stretch and cassettes to wear but the 'magic' over old is simply the gaps so small compared to the almost whopping 5mm of old. Then theres the cable pull, there was that little delay that 2:1 will always have over 1:1

So, is 'new' better than 'old' - it depends - I found even 9spd clagged up quicker in the thick sticky clay we have around here where thick stupid old 7/8 carried on. The perceived and physical faster shifting of new adds something psychological to the mix, a bit more 'grrrrr!' because shifting is near instantaneous - something that the physics of 7spd could never allow instantly rendering poor old 7spd stoopid over there old and slow. Old and slow is also very reliable (the talk of 'exploding rear mechs is simply down to forgetting to tighten that top jockey bolt and those lovely unfashionable chrome mech guards were there for a reason!).

Aesthetics? Difficult - our generation finds M730 a polishable tactile bit of loveliness with perhaps M900 the pinnacle - combine this with the paint jobs of the day and you've got the very reasons why this site exists. Todays Transformers generation will find the clutch mech exciting, a little engineering miracle but they are just as fragile and susceptible to being snapped or broken off as they were 35 years ago in Marin County.

rdm786gsl.jpg

RD-M732MH_01_m.JPG

legrandefromage":2za0ztra said:
...Old and slow is also very reliable (the talk of 'exploding rear mechs is simply down to forgetting to tighten that top jockey bolt and those lovely unfashionable chrome mech guards were there for a reason!).

Actually one of the rivets in the reliable old mech snapped...and simply riding along on the road rather than due to a twig/mech interface. And those - for a while very fashionable - chrome mech guards often seemed to cause more problems that they solved. I saw a couple of bent dropouts bitd as a result of them being made of somewhat tougher stuff than the frame they were attached to.

I do, however, agree that 3x7spd was kind of the sweet spot for 3x systems and reliability in all conditions - especially if coupled with thumbshifters. I only ever wanted a wider ratio of gears - not more of them or faster shifting. I'm intrigued by the 1x10 systems (especially as I spend nearly all of my time in my middle ring) - but not at the expense of my very low granny gear or ability to switch to friction shifting.

had my 96 p7 set up 7 speed with thumbies for touring because its so simple.just set it up 20 speed all xt its transformed best its ever been

Re:

all XT is good, old or new. the new stuff works superbly well and last for ages. and it's still really good value for money and affordable.

Re:

old XT M730 power !!!!!!
Xt became ugly when Shimano gave up thumshifters !!

M739 is my all time fav. Everything works really well - the shifters inparticular - and it looks ace

97XT.jpg

I recently picked up the current versions (M771) for the commuter and whilst they don't look as good, echoing above, they work well and last a decent amount of time.

6361_00_d.jpg

legrandefromage":1ugaf20p said:
I had the chance of both worlds of new and old riding.

The Zaskar has XT thumbies and 8spd - shifting is like gunshots going off, preslecting into 'beat the younger rider on a new expensive bike' without them knowing is nigh on impossible due to the noise but the resulting sprint to the finish (plus me riding home while they packed their cars) garnered a lot of respect.

The secret of modern shifting is the distances between the cogs - that gives the feeling of fast precise shifting more than anything else. Theres still cables to gum up, chains to stretch and cassettes to wear but the 'magic' over old is simply the gaps so small compared to the almost whopping 5mm of old. Then theres the cable pull, there was that little delay that 2:1 will always have over 1:1

So, is 'new' better than 'old' - it depends - I found even 9spd clagged up quicker in the thick sticky clay we have around here where thick stupid old 7/8 carried on. The perceived and physical faster shifting of new adds something psychological to the mix, a bit more 'grrrrr!' because shifting is near instantaneous - something that the physics of 7spd could never allow instantly rendering poor old 7spd stoopid over there old and slow. Old and slow is also very reliable (the talk of 'exploding rear mechs is simply down to forgetting to tighten that top jockey bolt and those lovely unfashionable chrome mech guards were there for a reason!).

Aesthetics? Difficult - our generation finds M730 a polishable tactile bit of loveliness with perhaps M900 the pinnacle - combine this with the paint jobs of the day and you've got the very reasons why this site exists. Todays Transformers generation will find the clutch mech exciting, a little engineering miracle but they are just as fragile and susceptible to being snapped or broken off as they were 35 years ago in Marin County.

rdm786gsl.jpg

RD-M732MH_01_m.JPG

Here here! Totally agree old cheese!

I like 737, but by the late 90's the style was going downhill. By the late 90's early 2000's I think they became utilitarian. I don't pay much attention to the new stuff - last time I looked it struck me as something Darth Vader would ride.

Latest posts

Back