Shimano parallel push v brake M550 vs m739 vs m950/1/2/3

mior

Dirt Disciple
Hey
Been thinking about this for a little while which of the shimano v brakes are the best. I know the XTR ones are usually the most period correct as the LX ones came out in 1998. I feel like i read somewhere that the LX ones are a little more powerful as they are the 2nd gen revised linkage (has more of an s curve in the little bar on the front). I have a bike that is not super period correct to the point where i would be fine running any, so whats the best?

Leaving aside that the early xts wore the pivots in heavy use, the difference between them is less than the difference pad material, setup and rim finish will make.

- just go with the ones you like the look of the best👍

The LX being the last design probably makes them the most reliable and consistent, but everything wears out eventually, so a little used early xt would outperform a heavily used late LX.

It's easy to feel wear if you're holding them, but not if you're looking at photos🙄

my xts are worn more than the LX's. the LXs are/were near NOS when i got them, but i will have a set of XTRs soon so ill probably switch over

The last parallel push v brakes were the xtr m970. Arguably the best of the bunch and look great too. I might have a spare set of you are looking.

M960s were good too, though the shiny look isn't as nice as the m95x versions, and I think there were 3 iterations of these. 2 were m950, and there was also m951 which were very similar to m970 with the spring assembly at the linkage. I have spare sets of these too, and rebuild kits for them.

The LX ones were good and were probably more robust at the linkage, m750 were a different linkage too.

You might also consider a dia-comoe set, I think they were model number 737 or 747 which is cheeky as like Shimano numbering. They were pretty robust.

I've also learned recently that the arch rivals brakes were a take on parallel push and are said to be decent.

Those late xtr vs (960/70) are super rare because most people were using discs by then - that could make them crazy expensive...or a bargain!
Arch rivals work very well. Best rim brake👍less squealing🤣

Back