Shimano Hyperglide What Chain Do You Use?

tricky43

Dirt Disciple
I have a 1994 Shimano XT setup, I used to use the HG90 chain but looking around it seems that they've all gone.

From a quick Google search it looks like a SRAM chain would be OK.

Does it use the same link joining method as the HG90 with the little pin that you fire through and then break off the end or is there a special split link.

Please bring me up to date, I'm still living in the 90's

Thanks........ Rick

I use SRAM on all my bikes with no problems.

They join with the nifty little power link gizmo so no tricky chain tool business to navigate. Makes for easy trailside repairs as well.

Thank-you.

The SRAM PC890 looks to be the best one, can you tell me if you get a powerlink (the split link that joins the two ends of the chain) with a chain or will I need to but one of those separately.

I guess a spare one in my puncture repair kit would be the smart thing to do as well.

Do you need tools to open and close the powerlink?

I always carry a cool tool which has a hyperglide link/pin remover chain tool on it. Will this work with the sram chain to take out links if it gets mangled on a ride?

Sorry for all the questions but I think it might be a good idea to know all this stuff now than half way up a hill in the middle of nowhere when it's going dark.

You get the power link with the chain. And you can take it in and out with your hands with not too much bother.

A normal chain tool is all you need to remove links.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'd go for anything other than Shimano, which are beautfully slick and silent but at the expense of short life.

SRAM or KMC are my favourites, but I've never used Connex.

+1 for SRAM again!

I have broken 3 chains in my life, all Shimano HG.. Never broken a SRAM.. and I always use Shimano cassettes, and dry lube rather than oil, and have no probs with slippage, or cleaning.

It does depend on the cassette you're using though, just make sure you get the right chain for the number of gears..
I use PC971 on all my 9-sp stuff, and PC850 on 8-sp. Cheap as chips from Chain Reaction!

The powerlink is AMAZING, you can fit it yourself in around 1 min, but yes, you can use a standard chain tool if you need to repair or take out links etc to shorten the chain.

Back