Shimano Branded Mystery Frame/Bike Titanium(?) What is It??

@ Troje: Yeah it has been used! Still in great nick, the parts too, though they show mure signs of usage than the frame.

About the cable stops, that is why I made close up pictures of them, because I thought that could tell some.

A Litespeed, did they have a seatclamp thing like this frame? Because I think what I saw most of them had a clamp, I think.

@ Ishaw: About the decals, this has crossed my mind. But I think this was done with a bit more purpose than just slapping on decals. The reason why I think so is because they are on STRAIGHT! I mean like, really reall really straight, mirror perfect on both sides! The decals are on the frame and despite being 25ish years still stuck on the frame like crazy (no clear coat over it mind!). Only some minor scuffs at the edges of the decals. It could have been done just for the heck of it, but I don't know, that is not the vibe I get from it.

Like I wote, no name nowhere and the only number is at the drive side drop out and reads: H744....:S

Those Shimano decals appeared on all kinds of bikes. I rescued a no-name catalogue bike from a skip last year for the missus and it has them. They also look very much like they were factory applied to the bike I found too. I think lots of brands went through a phase of slapping shimano decals on frames for various reasons.

That's not to say that your story isn't correct - only that it isn't that rare to find them on frames of that era.

Re:

In the last photo..... where the NDS chainstay meets the bottom bracket shell there looks like a crack in the weld. Might be a trick of the light or dirt mind.

@ Greencat: You are right and I agree :) I have seen these decals on bikes before too. Some low end, some mid range and some higher end stuff. Think some of them were local brands that were sold by LBS, or like a LBS own "label"/"line" of bikes. Some might have been demo's and I know some team bikes got this treatment too. Did you ever find out who made the frame you rescued? Have seen these decals on "lower end" women's frames several times too, but with "lower end" I mean part wise as I could not speak for the frame :)

That being said, somebody must have made this frame and since it is (probably) titanium and from 96/97 there can't have been a whole lot manufacturers that could have build it. Considering the quality of the welds and the parts I do not think this is a low end frame either. Again that is what I think so far and so far the replies here did only enforce this train of thought :)

@ Frankenorange: I see it too on the picture but it is no crack! It is like a weld burnish slightly brownish shine spot in the weld, do not know how this is called XD Probably welders and people who work with metals a lot have a name for it XD So the frame is still good :)

troje":1rob9mj8 said:
Ah, so the bike is actually used!

I would say a Litespeed produced, non branded showbike for Shimano. Somewhere mid ‘90s. The positioning of the top tube mounted cable stops is interesting and could give a clue.

I second that proposition. A bike for an exhibition or a press presentation for XTR gruppo...

I'm not entirely convinced this is titanium. Some stainless steel (the "austenitic" type, apparently) is not magnetic, so the magnet test doesn't prove it's ti. The welds on my '96 Litespeed are quite a lot neater than on this frame. The low weight, I agree, suggests titanium, but it's not proof - Kona made some sub-4lb steel Explosif frames, for example. Anyone know if you can do a hardness / scratch test to resolve this for certain?

adroitstif":1aa5ei8p said:
I'm not entirely convinced this is titanium. Some stainless steel (the "austenitic" type, apparently) is not magnetic, so the magnet test doesn't prove it's ti. The welds on my '96 Litespeed are quite a lot neater than on this frame. The low weight, I agree, suggests titanium, but it's not proof - Kona made some sub-4lb steel Explosif frames, for example. Anyone know if you can do a hardness / scratch test to resolve this for certain?

The finish of the material has me in a bind too! But as far as I have heard stainless steel is a biatch to work with and make a frame out of it. Also for it not to be magnetic it needs a lot of non magnetic materials, this would be nickel in most cases if I am correct (??? again anybody who knows more about this please correct me!!!!).

Also I agree on the welds, I have seen better online too. I also have seen a lot worse. If this is titanium it is quite good as far as I can tell.

Have been looking at titanal (ooooh crap here we go again, nooo not like that you pervert ;) ) frames too, but they can not be welded like as far as I have seen.

I think that when this is non magnetic stainless steel and it is build in the 2nd half of the 90's there can not have been a whole lot of frame builders that could have build a stainless frame like this and have it at 1600gr for a 50cm frame. Should make the search for the brand easier in any case XD

I am seriously thinking about grabbing my multitool and trying to grind of a tiny bit on the derrie hanger. Titaniums sparks very bright, so I have read. Something is kinda holding me back XD

I keep looking at it and thinking nickel-plated steel. A non-magnetic one like 953 perhaps?

But I think it's Ti. Those big fat dropouts look like what you would get for titanium - a steel bike would have normal cast dropouts. Similarly the complicated fabrication of the stay ends.

To me the bent stays suggest it isn't Ti, more like steel. Also the finish on the tubes is more steel. The welds are interesting though and look like stainless welds.

As for the sticker and parts on the bike, the sticker could well be original but says nothing about the frame, its not in proportion to be the main sticker imo and the kit is a real mish-mash of parts.

After a bit of research...turns out it's a cow! :shock: :LOL:
(It's on the non-drive side though...)

Attachments

• BHRH744_L.jpg
    BHRH744_L.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,019

Latest posts

Back