Shimano 5 arm crank question

Ignore the missing teeth, that's called ramp profiling and probably some other fangled name (hyerdrive-C-X-SG-X-II-...)

it's actual wear on the teeth at the chain contact points you need to consider and i'll let other decide as I to some that would be worn, others it would be good condition plenty of miles left.

As FC says, the teeth are supposed to be like that.

Shimano chainrings are notoriously made of cheese, new ones will end up looking as worn as that in no time.

Cheers guys. So the opinion seems to be there is life in those chain rings.

In that case I think a good clean and refitting is in order. Just been combing through the classifieds and I cant see a Shimano crank of late '90s for sale. Am I correct in thinking the XT ones had 4 arms rather than 5? Would that make obtaining replacements a less painless process?

Do they not come up very often?

Cheers for the time you guys are taking answering my bone headed questions. :oops:

The rings in both types are easily available as middleburns from CRC, though Modern 4-arms have a greater cheaper choice. The 4 arms would be a few years later but if you find MC40's they are a better choice than the M739/569's for 4 arm.

look for 737's and put some silver or coloured middleburn slickshift on them (about £60 for a set from CRC) or find the 739/569 with a 5 arm spider on them.

Chainrings to fit the higher end stuff like XT are easy enough to get whatever the age.

uphillcursing2":2zezlubl said:
......Is the middle ring you know of silver? .......

It is indeed. I'll see if I can get some pics if you want (and a price). ;)

I'd say that middle ring and big ring are close to needing replacement. 1 of those teeth on the big ring looks quite chewed up.
You could keep the STX cranks and run a double ring setup, and forget about the granny ring. Or I'd probably ditch the STX and get an STX-RC chainset which uses standard rings. 94bcd mid and outer, 58bcd granny.

Back