shifting issues

If the problem is only in engaging in second or a noise when you're in second, it must be a possibility that your second sprocket is worn out. Does it look worn? And when you say 2nd, you do mean your second-biggest sprocket, do you? It's rare for that to wear out first - it's usually the smallest sprockets that wear out first.

I would also check the chain for wear. Put a ruler along it and look to see how the length of 24 links compares to 12". If it's more than 12 1/8" then the chain needs replacing, irrespective of anything else. Even if it's 12 1/8" and you're having trouble, then it must be suspect along with the cassette.

Straneg that someone should mention Giants and dodgy shifting. I've had the same problem where I just can't get the gears set up perfectly, and I've changed the chainset, gears, cables, levers, casette, chain and even the wheels and had no joy.

How is this possibly related to the frame?

Ian

The only way dodgy shifting can be attributed to the frame is by the hanger (replaceable or not).

When I set up my Zaskar , the shifting was crap.Nothing I could do would get a smooth shift. Then standing behind the bike, I could see that the rear mech was not in line with the gears. The hanger was bent.
So, it was removed, given some percussive adjustment,and refitted.
All fixed........

Anthony":ojaps22v said:
Does it look worn? And when you say 2nd, you do mean your second-biggest sprocket, do you?

im not sure as it looks like the rest but then they all could be worn i suppose.

yes 2nd biggest cog.

i dont mind buying a new chain and cassette but wanna make sure that is the problem 1st.

hanger looks straight too :?

the great roberto":f9j1pvxw said:
The only way dodgy shifting can be attributed to the frame is by the hanger (replaceable or not).

When I set up my Zaskar , the shifting was crap.Nothing I could do would get a smooth shift. Then standing behind the bike, I could see that the rear mech was not in line with the gears. The hanger was bent.
So, it was removed, given some percussive adjustment,and refitted.
All fixed........

I got my LBS to sort that out too, they have a tool for measuring if hanger is bent and can get it straight.........done it....still have the problem!!

freeride-mike":2scm6tv3 said:
i dont mind buying a new chain and cassette but wanna make sure that is the problem 1st.
That's why I suggested measuring the chain - if 24 links measure 12 1/8" or more, you need to change the chain anyway. Buying a replacement might solve the problem, it might not, but you wouldn't be wasting your money either way.

Do you experience the problem to the same extent in the granny ring?

My shifting problem has been solved. All you need to do is crash and land crank side down and all your problems will go away! I was lucky that no damage was done other than chewing up the rear qr skewer, but shifts like a dream now.

Anthony":m81cgi8y said:
freeride-mike":m81cgi8y said:
That's why I suggested measuring the chain - if 24 links measure 12 1/8" or more, you need to change the chain anyway. Buying a replacement might solve the problem, it might not, but you wouldn't be wasting your money either way.

Do you experience the problem to the same extent in the granny ring?

havnt ran a front mech since i built up the giant so once i get chance i'll drop the chain on the granny ring and see if i get the same problems in 2nd :?

Back