shifting issues

freeride-mike

Dirt Disciple
I need some help, im having a few shifting issues and cant seem to work out what im doing wrong......

im getting a clicking sound in 2nd but only in 2nd, when i go down my gears it wont run smooth in 2nd however when i run up my gears it jumps from 3rd to 1st?? ive adjusted everything time and again and just cant get it right is something worn and needs replacing or is this just an adjustment issue that im getting wrong??

my drive:

suntour triple chainset
shimano 8 speed chain
shimano 8 speed cassette
altus rear mech

These were all original from my 1st bike and have been transfered together so im pretty sure it isnt a compatability thing!

ANY advice or help appreciated

mike :cry:

its a brand new alivio shifter and cable fitted thursday night.

i had a look at the hanger but it doesnt look bent??

would pics be of any help??

thanks mike

yes it is but TBH ive suffered this with my old shifters (shimano lever/shifter combo) and my old saracen which the parts where from....

why do u ask??

Check you second cog for damage, wear.

Take a side on picture of the mech, cable, cassette are for us to look at when in second.

and whatever anyone else asks for. Check the hanger is not bent.
In second your mech jockies should be pointing straight (imagine a line through them both) down when looking from the back.

etc..

Giants are known for having shifting issues, some say it's an urban myth but for some unexplainable reason it happens.

I have a 2005 Giant XTC2 with carbon rear end and from day one i've had shifting issues, It went back to the bike shop about 6 times in the first year and since then i've spent well over £500 trying to sort it, not long ago i had XTR cassette, new SLX chainset, xtr chain, XTR cables and xt rear mech, it ran smooth for about 5 months and now i've just replaced the rear cassette and chain because it was crap. It seems to get worse when it gets a bit muddy.

I've even had my LBS look at it and they gave up.

I've now come up with a new solution.......................A new frame..............I kid you not......i've had enough!!!! :x

You need some of these, for up to 8 speed indexed shifting :D

d42d_35.JPG

Or if you need more gears, these will do 10 speed
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0285834433

thumbiekit.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back