Shed security

Thanks for the link - I love the idea of having a metal lock up in the garden.

Better than these cheap sheds for sale at £60 down the local B&Q. Wouldn't even keep a badger out let alone a savvy garden thief..

Anyone got a picture of an installed on in their garden? I'm intrigued by this.

I've got one of those cheap £60 sheds - have 3 bikes in it - sited it at the front of the house because it is so unsecure. It's locked but as the door doesn't fully close you can see what's in it :) it does keep the bikes dry though.

I painted it with cheap garden stain, it is "ok" and used for convenient access stuff like the kids cheaper bikes and roof racks. I reinforced it inside with a decking cross piece for hooks and a shelve for tyres and spares.
I also reversed the door and put on a decent hasp and added screws where the staples were struggling to hold the shiplap.
If you can afford more buy a tongue and groove shed.

dvitendi":1b77x36w said:
Where do you buy shipping containers from?

ebay...although there are cheaper sources, your best bet is one which has slight damage making it basically scrap to the shipping + haulage firms...but perfect as a shed replacement.

dvitendi":m8kpn9vr said:
Did you treat it with anything? Feel pretty safe in the end?

if you want a cheap shed, build one yourself its surprisingly easy! I've said it before and im sure i'll say it again but old pallets are the future for shed building, for the price of the felt and a couple of buckets of nails you can build a seriously sturdy shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWBkc1oi2GE

This one isn't mine but the design is pretty much identical...mines a bit bigger.

lots of places will just give you pallets free, because to them its just another thing they have to dispose of...my local garden centre supplied the majority of the ones i used. I just went in and asked the manager, who told me i'd be doing him a favour if i took them away. You can tear up the more knackered pallets to cover the gaps between the slats.

If you spent 60 quid on felt, nails and the other little touches you could build a mega shed! I scavenged a door from a skip and two more for the roof (although in retrospect that was a mistake because it rotted out in 2 years) I should have just done the roof properly to start with...but i was trying to see how cheaply i could do it.

The best type of recycling plus you save yourself some cash!

BobCatMax":1k0g2b20 said:
Khane":1k0g2b20 said:
i'll have to get you a couple of pics of my setup ;)

You can't say that and not post them up!!

lol appologies for some reason i wasn't getting the emails when someone else posted and it slipped my mind :oops:

anyway, the actual shed is shite no other word for it, it is about as secure as a paper bag.

all panels are held on with screws not that you need a screw driver, you could quite easily pull the panels off by hand :oops: (DO NOT BUY A SHEDMASTER SHED)

the real security comes from the ground anchor that i got a local blacksmith to knock up for me (£10) set into at least 6-8 inches of concrete.

the chain and lock i got from these people http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk at a fair cost, but worth every penny as even if the shites do get into the shed it is highly unlikely they will be leaving with any of my bikes.

zjzeyf.jpg

Back