Shed security

alanf":2xsdukln said:
the way things are going! I'm going for the whole thing not just the doors!

http://utahsheltersystems.com/index.php

wonder if they'll ship to the UK and can they make one with a door big enough to get a bike through? :)

I remember looking into this a while back, utah shelters are a bit expensive...cheaper method is to get a shipping container have it reinforced then bury it in concrete.

infact thats a different company whos prices aren't too bad.

shipping containers are ok, but they are the wrong shape and designed to be stacked, there is not much strength in their sides! they'll need a lot of work on them, their strength is all in the frame work, saying that there is some guy in the states that has built a shelter out of old school buses! and buried them! so anythings possible...now where's my welder? and just how big a hole will I need to bury a double decker and how long before the bus company miss it?

I've just been looking at the hardened structures web site :shock: are these guys for real? people actually buy into this stuff and build these places?

alanf":2wzegcuj said:
shipping containers are ok, but they are the wrong shape and designed to be stacked, there is not much strength in their sides! they'll need a lot of work on them, their strength is all in the frame work, saying that there is some guy in the states that has built a shelter out of old school buses! and buried them! so anythings possible...now where's my welder? and just how big a hole will I need to bury a double decker and how long before the bus company miss it?

I've just been looking at the hardened structures web site :shock: are these guys for real? people actually buy into this stuff and build these places?

the bus company won't miss it! just tell them it got stolen in a riot, if they ask to see the burnt out carcass just tell them that the scroats must have dismantled it for bits for their novas.

I've always thought going underground would be a great way to expand your property whilst avoiding planning laws its not like its an eyesore to neighbours, especially if you do it quickly enough and cover it up before anyone can realise whats going on.

the same idea has entered my head! a partialy buried shipping container, enough room for storage and still space on the top to build a deck with minimum loss of space

makster":12keodqy said:
I'm looking at moving my bikes out from my spare room and into a shed/bike store outside.
I was just wondering what security measure people on here take who store their bikes in a similar way.
I'm looking at fitting a security anchor point to the concrete floor and then installing the shed/store over the top of this.
Any suggestions??

i'll have to get you a couple of pics of my setup ;)

a few years ago we were talking about shed security and I came up with the idea of a large steel bar with anchor points on it that poke through the floor to let you secure your valuables to, we went as far as cutting up a scrap stairlift rail, drilling a few holes in it to allow my mates motor bike chain to pass through and then stuck it under his shed when we built it ...... it worked :D and he bought me a few beers to say thanks after his shed was broke into and the bike and all the other stuff chained up were still there the following morning :) and now you can buy a similar bloody device and someone is making a fortune off it :evil: and dont get me started on micro wave pop corn, I swear they bugged my kitchen when we started that idea ...it was friday and we were drunk but it worked, sainsburys home base brown paper bag and .... well you get the idea :LOL:
now my idea on caravan security....... I'm keeping stum on that one ;) but it involves a remote timer, 3 kilos of ball bearings and some semtex :twisted:

alanf":2fv5jpg6 said:
now my idea on caravan security....... I'm keeping stum on that one ;) but it involves a remote timer, 3 kilos of ball bearings and some semtex :twisted:

Oh really well thats nothing, I invented the actual corn they use to pop and corn flakes...don't get me started on coca cola.

alanf":13wf5v3q said:

Aren't shipping containers the exact right shape and design to be stacked, since they are stacked 10 high on container ships?

The hole would need to be the size of a double decker bus. DD buses are a global method of measurement, along with football pitches.

Back