Shed security

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm looking at moving my bikes out from my spare room and into a shed/bike store outside.
I was just wondering what security measure people on here take who store their bikes in a similar way.
I'm looking at fitting a security anchor point to the concrete floor and then installing the shed/store over the top of this.
Any suggestions??

I dont keep my bikes in the shed but I do have a post in there.

It's a big flat plate that fits between the runners and goes a good length from front to back. It has a 2" piece of box section that comes up through the floor and has two holes through it for locks / chains etc. the full lot is powder coated.

I cut the shed base and and assembled the shed over it. Its been there 10 years and still looks like new :D

I only use it for the lawn mower / garden tools etc - dont know if I would trust it with a selection of expensive bikes. It could be removed but in doing so would involve A) shed destruction and B) lots of noise.

WD :D

ground anchor sounds like a good idea to me. Standard shed hinges tend to be on the flimsy side, so look at getting some serious hinges and locks on the doors and windows. Also fit laminated glass.

As above - I also put three good hinges on with coach bolts and two security bolts with quality pad locks (shed also has a crappy key lock fitted as standard).

No windows for me.

WD :D

Replace any external screws with security ones. They are cheap and easy to do. I've got those T hinges on my shed so had to make sure no body could just unscrew the door.

Tangle your bikes together in an uruley mess like me. Even I cant seperate them and drag them through the shed door without loads of cursing and loud crashing noises that will wake up the neighbourhood thus deterring a theif from trying it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've just built a new shed for my bikes (it's all this forum's fault, had 2 when I joined, now I have 6... :) )

As said above, coach-bolting the hinges/hardware is a good move, ideally through the frame of the shed as well. Location of the shed is something else to consider, the closer to the house the better, and out of darker parts of the garden.

At the end of the day, a lock only stops an honest person, so my theory is to make things as difficult, time-consuming, and noisy as possible for any would-be thieving twunts. The fact my shed is within 3 metres of my bedroom, where I store my shotguns helps too :)

Topical thread for me this..

In the process of outfitting a Lower Ground [Under Road] Bunker.. Need to DampProof then raise the floor, then BikeRack style on the back wall..

Might start a Build Thread for it :idea:

Was going to go the Bike Shop Route and have a heavy chain linking them all together. Then use a crappy lock on the main Door..

* Crappy Lock implies nothing worth locking..?

might be worth looking at some of those hefty units they do for motorcycles..or get a mini container and convert one of those for the garden

my shed security is extencive sheds half way up the garden you have to get past the hd cctv camera and flood lights the german shepard named bob then get into the shed where all bikes are locked together with multipal locks to a massive set of ladders and ground anchor and good help if they then wake me as theres a 12 gauge in the loft and a short temper towards burglers :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (no intensions on shooting just making them poo them selfs)

Back