Selling on eBay now free.

ebay will go out of business soon by not charging for listing and selling.

it must have raised selling fees for businesses to make up for it.

ebay will go out of business soon by not charging for listing and selling.

it must have raised selling fees for businesses to make up for it.
I'm sure they know what they're doing and how to raise revenue. As someone else said, they may charge buyer fees instead. More people will list more stuff, there's advertising, listing upgrades etc.

My estimate is that a seller will list something for a price but it will then appear to a buyer as another price. Or there will be a fee added. That price/fee will fall the more you buy. It will encourage people to buy more. That's kind of how every other auction works. Then when they hold sellers earnings they will earn interest on it.

They could force people like me who clearly buy stuff on eBay just to re-sell on eBay again to register as a business (they used to treat me like one anyway before the money back guarantee became a blanket policy based on amount of items sold). Now we're all being forced into giving them our NI details it's easy to see who does what and how many accounts they use, so that stops people avoiding fees and tax that way.

They also clearly have deals in the background with certain couriers now as they automatically apply their services to every listing and force you to manually change it for every listing, whereas their system used to memorise what you preferred.

your comment about charging buyers is a very good point and something that could well happen. Ebay must be earning money in other ways to not charge sellers.

They are probably going to help fund this change by monetizing data more aggressively.

The same day they made this change my browser stopped working for ebay. I use Brave with a suite of plugins that prevent websites gathering any personal data or sending third party cookies. That's the first serious website I found that pretty much refuses to function unless you first allow files to be downloaded and data to be uploaded.

Last edited:
Back