Sell or convert to singlespeed?

gregb

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi everyone

I have a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper FS (in good condition) that I was thinking of selling or converting to a singlespeed (freewheel - i'm not that brave!)

Would it be possible to convert? Would I need to ditch the front shocks?

Any thoughts :?:

Thanks

Greg

gregb":8oyebiwb said:
I have a 2001 Specialized Rockhopper FS (in good condition) that I was thinking of selling or converting to a singlespeed (freewheel - i'm not that brave!)

Would it be possible to convert? Would I need to ditch the front shocks?

Hi, and welcome.

In short, yes to converting, its a piece of cake....and no you wouldnt need to ditch the front shocks. However, a lot of SSers (myself included) go rigid purely for the true simplicity and weight loss benefits ;)

SS kits can be purchased off ebay for peanuts, and also occasionally pop up here in our For Sale foum. Then, take the inner and outer rings of your cranks, ditch your mechs, grab a chain tensionner of internet (I got mine from ChainReactionCycles) and away you go :D

I agree with Pickle, it's much simpler than I imagined. I opted for an Onza conversion kit, Gusset tensioner, Gusset Slink chain and a Shimano 18t cog. Not the cheapest conversion at approx £35 but it could have been worse with the Surley tensioner and cog I fancied! Only teething problem the guys on here helped with was the chain did not engage with enough teeth at the back (chainwrap) and slipped under pressure. I changed the crap Mr C tensioner for the Gusset one and solved the slippage problem. Hope this helps.

Another reason for going the rigid fork route (or suss forks with lockout) is that when you are out the seat 'honking' your way up a hill (is it hilly where you are?) the forks don't bounce all over the place wasting precious energy.

Steve

stevek":2fd599pz said:
Another reason for going the rigid fork route (or suss forks with lockout) is that when you are out the seat 'honking' your way up a hill (is it hilly where you are?) the forks don't bounce all over the place wasting precious energy.

Steve
amen on that....

Sell the specialized and get a ss frame,no messin with ugly tensioners and shows full commitment :twisted:

nah full commitment would be having the dropouts changed to horizontal , growing a massive beard and chasing geared riders with a flaming torch :LOL:

stevek":d3s01myu said:

Steve

Although not retro I've got a singlespeed jump bike with Rock Shox Psylo's on and they have the 'lock out' adjuster on the top which is easy to flick when you are hammering it!

Although I use rigid forks with my ss bikes I wouldn't rule out using a lightweight set of suss forks with lockout option. It can get a bit hairy when you're going for it down a fast rocky descent! :shock:

Back