Self extracting crank bolts, anyone use them??

retro73

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hey, im after buying a set of self extracting crank bolts, I have seen the Middleburn ones and then the cheaper ones on ebay for £8.99 ??

Does anyone have any advice on self extracting bolts or use either of the above??

Thanks Dave

I used them on my old octalink hollowtech XT cranks that came with them. I found them great for removing the cranks with ease without a crank extractor.

Yup....bought the same ones and they work fine....like the man says - without a crank tool....I just keep them greased up regularly

I've used them a few times Sugino ones and SARS ones which were cheap off EBay

Good kit, just grease the threads before you fit them and all should be dandy

^^^ hmmmmm interesting; knowing how tight some of my cranks have been, I never trusted them, use a crank extractor instead.

I've stopped using them. More stuff to go wrong, heavier, 6mm or 7mm smaller allen key. Back to a proper 8mm Shimano bog standard - fit it and forget about it.

I still have an x-lite one jammed in my bonty cranks ,,,,Avoid unless you remove every time its cleaned :cry:

Odd, I had the ebay cheapies, the crank side worked flawlessly, the other side bent, buckled and rippped the threads out of the crank before it unscrewed but left the crank on the taper.

So, I am not really sure about them,but then I have observed the more expensive ones from bitd had a captive washer on them to I guess bear on the inside of the crank square. As to whether this helps, I don't know, but I guess greasing the things might have stopped the one I had ripping out, as sea wind and rain kind of irritates aluminium especially where it is in close contact with steel and moisture.

But they are nice for pimping your ride when colour coded to your paint scheme.

I've used the Brand-X ones from Chainreaction. They are reasonable price and nice and light. Popped some loctite on them when first installed and they have stayed on with no issues and came off a doodle when needed to replace Bottom bracket.

Back