Seized Seatpost. Plan of attack.

Hi,
Put the frame/post upside down in a vice, clamping the post (it's a gonner anyway!) soak in WD40 or a decent penetrating oil. If this fails, get a plumbers pipe freezing kit and freeze the post, not the seat tube. If you freeze the seat tube it will contract and you'll struggle even more. Then, wrap a towel around the seat tube at the and pour boiling water onto the towel. the thermal shock should 'crack' the corrosion that has siezed the post.

It worked for me in about 15mins (plus the trip to B&Q for the freezing kit !)

Be gentle with it though and don't use the frame too much as a lever.

cheers........ M

I got a new plan of attack, in a few weeks I am getting a pal's bike to unseize the seat post and am going to try to save the post. My plan is I have a set of Sykes Pikavant internal pullers and a slide hammer that screws onto the pullers. It is going to be a bit tricky to expand the puller down in the depths of the seat tube, but jamming a bit of wood in there should lock the knurled tightening collar. The plan is freezer spray, plus gas and then hammer the post out from inside with the slide hammer. It used to work on smashed bearing races, so might work with a seat pin.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sykes-Pickavant-B ... 240%3A1318

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back