seeking the advice of someone who knows about car insurance

Be careful about buying a dirt cheap car for insurance...........the insurance companies assume as it's cheap you are going to trash it ! can be cheaper to buy a newer car and insure that.

Shaun

Re:

Takes me back to the time when i passed the driving test and, you stop at NOTHING to get motoring.

Don't be in such a rush if you cannot afford things immediately. I never had sod all in the bank whilst owning a car, it's a powerful thing.

Anyway, recently, I was online carrying out hypothetical quotes on cars that i reckon i could hypothetically afford to own/run.

What a shock, I'm the wrong side of 30, 8 yrs no claims and the cars are around 1100cc hatchbacks 55+ per gallon etc..

The quotes were anywhere from £1200 down to £333. It took a moment or two to twig that the difference was the NCB, as simple as that. Postcode, age, engine size only made subtle £40 variations in the quotes.
So, the picture was quickly built up and i tested the NCB theory, was true every time over several companies and car type.
So, my advice would be to try build up NCB as a named driver on a private car or stick with owning your own but do things slower and properly, just use your zaskar a bit longer to nip to the shops.
Even if you lose a mirror or pick up a knock in a carpark....find a scrapyard, don't claim.
A devastating fact i encountered was when i realised i had documentary evidence of 8 years no claims(that would buy me dirt cheap insurance) that was older than 24 months old, beyond that is non-legible, doesn't bloody count and therefore you have to start again with the NCB as year zero, of course doubling if not tripling the premium...boo...hooo...

Get your test passed and sort out some wheels in good time, there will always be plenty of cheap economical cars around. ;) even if you get a car virtually given.

My 19 year old daughter insures a 68 beetle for 600 on classic car policy. And pays no tax.

My son (her twin) rides an 88 Saracen LE as he's not passed his test.

dont take the chance the police only have to drive past... it will ping up as no insurance on their ANPR and then one of your neighbours will say its urs... then u will get 6 points before u even pass ur test .. u think insurance is pricey now!!!!!!!1!!!
dont buy the car til u passed ya test... there are always plenty of cars round to be bought i had a sweet original mini before i passed and i never drove it when i did pass i had a car within 24hrs so no worries ... PS best to buy a car off a little old lady rather than one thats been ragged by one of your mates

rooksfoot":jsudt3w1 said:
PS best to buy a car off a little old lady rather than one thats been ragged by one of your mates

hmmm "little old lady" not always the best of advice.....

Re: Re:

marc two tone":1zrdsk37 said:
The quotes were anywhere from £1200 down to £333. It took a moment or two to twig that the difference was the NCB, as simple as that. Postcode, age, engine size only made subtle £40 variations in the quotes.

To head off on a slight tangent, I would beg to differ. After moving from central London (N1) to rural cambridgeshire (CB Sticks), I found the insurance on my 2.5L Z4 drop from around £1400 to less than £500.... So postcode can certainly play a role.

Re: Re:

JeRkY":eukpyk0d said:
insurance on my 2.5L Z4...around £1400

Kicked-in-the-Nads.jpg

Back