Seat post reconditioning

Giom6

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I recently picked up this seatpost for a new build but I would like to spruce it up a bit and if possible make it look new.

Any ideas on how I can do that?

I thought I could get it re anodised but Rampage isn't doing that anymore and as its probably steel it wouldn't work.

Suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• Dynatech Post_01.jpg
    Dynatech Post_01.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 496
  • Dynatech Post_02.jpg
    Dynatech Post_02.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 496
Anodizing is a conversion coating on Aluminium, if you have steel base material then you almost certainly have a chemical coating

Assuming it is steel (heavy and magnetic) things like black chrome plating (which this looks like) can be redone, no idea about cost though sorry - and current coating would have to come off. Not sure if you could mask a new logo when it was done

If it was mine I would carefully strip the steel tube and hope the logo was still visible

Re:

Thats brilliant, thank you.

I'll see if there is somebody close to me that can help.

are you sure it is steel? - be pretty heavy

if tube is steel my guess would be the head is forged aluminium, which will complicate any attempt at re coating - steel and aluminium are completely different when it comes to coating, unless you go for paint which isn't really an option for a seat tube

Re:

Just checked. The post is steel but the head is aluminium :oops:

How would they have made them originally?

I think they will be a shrunk fit i.e. heat - expand the steel and or chill - shrink the Aluminium then push together maybe with Loctite or similar.

bullpup could be right, potentially the aluminium could have been cast/forged directly on the end of the steel tube too

how they coated both to be black I don't know - but I am sure someone here will

Re:

Thanks for the help guys.

I have found a place near me who does the plating so I have contacted them for some advise. Hopefully they can help.

If not I'll have to think of something else or just leave it...

Re:

i know you are a perfectionist so might go against the grain, but an obvious alternative would be to find a new black post and get the Dyna Tech logo applied, etched or transfer etc

Re: Re:

xxnick1975":1l20zv8r said:
i know you are a perfectionist so might go against the grain, but an obvious alternative would be to find a new black post and get the Dyna Tech logo applied, etched or transfer etc
I did think of that and that is very possible. It is only a Kalloy post after all.

I'll what costs are involved and if it is at all possible and then go from there...

Back