Sealed Bottom Bracket Installation.

Star Rider

Dirt Disciple
I want to upgrade the bottom bracket on an old frame I have for a fixed gear single speed project I'm starting on.
Looking to install a "Sealed Bottom Bracket" type.
Just need confirmation as to where I need to measure the spindle length from.
Have seen a good video on youtube which advises to measure from the taper end on one side to the taper end on the other.
However, the spindle I have is an older type and not sure where to measure from.
I need to know the dimensions so I can order the right size bottom bracket.
Have uploaded image of the spindle,any help is much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 02-12-2014.jpg
    02-12-2014.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 724
Measure the bottom bracket shell itself (the frame). It will probably be 68mm.

The actual spindle length will depend on the chainset you are fitting. If you intend to refit the original then you may have problems finding a sealed unit for a cottered crankset (don't think I've ever seen one!)

LFGSS have quite a few threads on bottom brackets and chainsets ...............not that I'm suggesting you visit another site :)

Are you after fitting a square tapered (cotterless) chainset. Is it a very old raleigh bike?

Shaun

Re:

Tel:
Thanks for the reply.
The shell is 77.5mm, when compared with one of my other bikes being 68mm.

Midlife
Thanks for the reply.
The frame is very old "New Hudson" with rear facing horizontal dropouts. The plan "was" to upgrade the bottom bracket (Square tapered cotterless chainsets) making a single speed fixed gear track bike. (Assuming it would take a sealed bottom bracket)
May be I should scrap that idea and reuse the original bottom bracket and fit new bearings.

I think you'll struggle with a non-standard BB shell width, particularly one that's nearly 10mm wider than standard because it's going to offset the BB by nearly 5mm. It'll never be where you want it for a correct chainline with both pedals spaced equally. You might get away with one of those Phil bottom brackets where there isn't a stepped sided cup, but you'll be looking at £90+ for one of them.

For info, fixed gear track BBs are usually 110mm wide for Shimano tapers and 103mm wide for Italian tapers.

Latest posts

Back