School me on the ~98 Rocky Mountain Element Race

DeoreDX

Dirt Disciple
Saw a Rocky Mountain Element Race pop up for sale cheap. Needs a few bits to get her riding but the frame, wheels, and fork looks to be in good condition and it has some nice aftermarket bits on her. I'm considering giving the guy a call to go take a look at it but it's a good hour drive away from here. Since it's not in rideable condition I'd love to hear some feedback on the Element Race. How's the ride? Good points? Bad points? Things to look out for when taking a look at it? I mainly do XC riding would the Element Race be a good setup for XC work? I think it's a 98 because the paint matches this listing perfectly and from the pictures looks to have the same Fox coil over rear shock.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-g ... uct/76235/

Realized I posted a '98 bike on the Pre-97 forums. :facepalm:

But they started making this in 96 so that counts right? :LOL:

Re:

I restored one of these earlier this year, they are cool bikes. The four-bar linkage system actually works for a vintage setup, but check for play in the rear bushings. Aside from that, the usual checks for cracks in the frame.

Re:

The new full suspension designs that rocky uses are a fairly direct descendant from the design on the 98 element. The bushings and bolts are still available on the rocky mountain website www.bikes.com in the parts section.

I had a 97 spice (same frame) from new that got stolen, i always keep my eye out for another.

Great bikes and a staple of the cross country scene here in the mid-late 90s.

Latest posts

Back