Saving water?

cyfa2809":1vj2p7la said:
I am guilty in that i run the hot tap until hot (der!) to then fill the kettle. Saves electric from the kettle though.
That has to be the most inefficient method, kettles are efficient heaters of water and hardly use any electricity in reality.

i'd have thought the amount of water wasted waiting for the hot water to come through probably pales in comparison to the amount wasted through the old Victorian water systems that we're still using today, i know down south they've been 'upgrading' the systems for years and still we waste tonnes through leaky pipes......

FluffyChicken":1qvfhlvx said:
cyfa2809":1qvfhlvx said:
I am guilty in that i run the hot tap until hot (der!) to then fill the kettle. Saves electric from the kettle though.
That has to be the most inefficient method, kettles are efficient heaters of water and hardly use any electricity in reality.

I didnt know that. My hot water comes out pretty fast though, 4 or 5 seconds i guess.

What is there more limescale in hot water? We live in a soft water area.

Why not use hot water to drink or brush teeth?

Over here in Christchurch we don't pay for water, we don't have grey water either, all the water that comes out of our taps is clean with no chemicals, it's the same stuff that comes in bottles that people buy.

I like the idea of instant water heaters for the hot taps...

Reason I was thinking about it was turning on the shower and having to wait for the hot water coming through and thinking how long it took for it to get hot...

cyfa2809":2qkmgrql said:
FluffyChicken":2qkmgrql said:
cyfa2809":2qkmgrql said:

I didnt know that. My hot water comes out pretty fast though, 4 or 5 seconds i guess.

What is there more limescale in hot water? We live in a soft water area.

Why not use hot water to drink or brush teeth?

If it's a hot water tank it comes from then you have water sat at a nice warm bacteria friendly temperatures after a while it all builds up. It's why hot water has to be so damn hot. Though boiling it in the kettle would kill it.

If your healthy though it shouldn't matter, I would have thought, otherwise people would be dropping like flies

Time how long it takes your kettle to boil from cold water, then hot tap water and see what the difference is.

Our water comes via gravity from a loch. I don't see why we have to pay similar rates here as in London, where it is massively expensive to provide water to homes, and it is subject to treatment many times.

Back