Saracen X-ile / X-ess question

add595

Retro Newbie
I'm going mad. I recently picked up a bike from my childhood, a Saracen X-ile in silver with red decals and this got me thinking about the actual one I had as a kid, which I'm sure was dark grey, maybe with yellow decals?
However, I've Googled it and I cannot find a picture of one in that colour. I don't believe any pictures exist of mine. I bought the frame new so I believe was factory paint.
Can anyone verify, or am I actually going mad? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240702_192719950_1.jpg
    IMG_20240702_192719950_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Don't mind me, just answering my own question.
I have never seen one elsewhere in this colour, even back in the day when I had mine. Must be quite rare.

You got it. Several different names and a couple of different frame styles for these. Yours like mine is the earliest model. My opinion is that the frames are very good, however they were sold with some questionable components fitted - they're ripe for upgrade and riding.

Thanks! Next question, are they all this tiny?
I ask as I thought all these Xess & Xile frames are identical in terms of frame size/geometry and they just had different paint jobs.

I don't have a build thread for this - owned from new. Saracen X-Cell
Serial is J0010100 so indicates a Year 2000 build.

View attachment 865107

That's a beauty! And an X-Cell model too, I knew they were sold under another name that I'd forgotten. I had them same cranks on mine beck in the day, in fact I threw them away not long ago (doh!) ...although the pedal threads were stripped.

Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with mine yet but probably some kind of restomod build. I've got a pair of Grimeca cable disc brakes I'd like to fit as that's what I had on mine. Maybe modern forks & bars. I've recently acquired some Atomlab 26" wheels so I'll likely use them.

Back