Salsa a la Carte Jellybean

Serial number update.
The serial number on the frame is SM763.
From my research that put it as Salsa Mountain number 763 built, 1991.
Rock and roll, i love the slightly earlier Salsa, so instead of thinking this was 93, its now pretty definitely 1991.
That makes the build a bit easier too, less bling was available then.

Future bike of the month material there. My eyeballs almost fell out of my face.
Glad youve still got your eyeballs in place. thanks for the kind words, i'll try and do a comprehensive build thread on it as it happens too.

Yeah, that stripped right back components-wise will be a treat.

I said in an earlier thread featuring this bike that I think as far as going the route he went, he knocked that aesthetic out of the park. Insane to think of the time and money that must have gone into sourcing that stuff - all top notch too.

That said, a more utaliriatrian rider build would really get the blood pumping... so I look forward to seeing the direction you go with it.

Only a tiny bit massively jealous!

PS. Hope you've been bidding on one of those Salsa roller stems everyone has been getting so chatty about on here recently! If ever there was a perfect bike for it, especially now you know it's a little earlier production-wise.

PS. Hope you've been bidding on one of those Salsa roller stems everyone has been getting so chatty about on here recently! If ever there was a perfect bike for it, especially now you know it's a little earlier production-wise.
Let’s just say that that salsa pro Moto on eBay isn’t available anymore for a reason.

Yeah, that stripped right back components-wise will be a treat.

I said in an earlier thread featuring this bike that I think as far as going the route he went, he knocked that aesthetic out of the park. Insane to think of the time and money that must have gone into sourcing that stuff - all top notch too.

That said, a more utaliriatrian rider build would really get the blood pumping... so I look forward to seeing the direction you go with it.

Only a tiny bit massively jealous!
Cheers. I’m generally a fan of more utilitarian builds, this will have only the slightest bit of period correct bling.

Serial number update.
The serial number on the frame is SM763.
From my research that put it as Salsa Mountain number 763 built, 1991.
Rock and roll, i love the slightly earlier Salsa, so instead of thinking this was 93, its now pretty definitely 1991.
That makes the build a bit easier too, less bling was available then.
Just to make it a bit harder on yourself you could decide on a salsa handlebar of the era w/ 8 degree or more sweep . Not bling: functional and not too many going around. I don´t care for the stem w/ rollers everybody pays through the roof... it´s just show off since any headset cable stop does the same but the handlebar sweep, that affects fit and handling. Worth obssessing about.

Just to make it a bit harder on yourself you could decide on a salsa handlebar of the era w/ 8 degree or more sweep . Not bling: functional and not too many going around. I don´t care for the stem w/ rollers everybody pays through the roof... it´s just show off since any headset cable stop does the same but the handlebar sweep, that affects fit and handling. Worth obssessing about.
I have cinsidered a Salsa handlebar, but im not too fussed. i wont let it hold up the build but if ones turns up then great. Otherwise my plan is a period correct 1991 Syncros handlebar and perhaps matching seatpost. As an aside, ive never been a fan of headset cable stops personally, i always think a cable guide/roller on the stem is a much neater solution, so happy to have a Pro-moto coming.

Back