Saddle Restoration advice anyone ?

muddyfox_courier

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I'm restoring my courier . here ....

http://stealbikes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0 ... ndman.html

That's todays bit . The whole of the bike doesn't look toooo bad and I don't envisage any major probs . yea , whatever .

The main problem though is the seat . Its the standard issue muddyfox one that came with the bike . I'd like to keep it as apart from that it's also dead comfy.
The leather though is dead dry and a bit scuffed . I've thought it could be re covered , but then it wouldnt be quite right either . I've read the odd bit about feeding the leather , saddle soap etc .
Have any of you done this type of thing . It's a kinda suede-y leather . How would that turn out . Dont really want that shiny brooks look .
Anyway .
If push comes to absolute shove I have another saddle.
A pointer in the right direction would be nice . Thank you in advance etc etc ...

Try your local car parts shop or upholsterer, they should have some "leather conditioner" that you can rub into it, should bring it up a treat- good luck!

Local furniture stores also sell "leather kits" for settees they sell

From your blog it might be quicker for you given your time restrictions to drop off your frame and forks once you've taken everything off to a local powder coaters who will strip and one colour powder coat for about 40-80 quid

If you do decide that route ask around in here for coaters close to you who are recomended for bikes.

Thanks guys. I'll try the furniture shop I think , seeing as there's one just about a mile away.
The main concern is that once I apply 'something' , I'm kinda stuck with that.

Sylus , Yea ; I considered PCing it , but , two main things , Its absolutely gotta be a pearl or metallic. Not sure what the deal is with that. I 've heard of people doing a ' base ' in PC , then , laquer over that with a metallic clearcoat. Sounds a bit convoluted.
I'd still be painting it , see.
Main thing though , I just fancy the hands-on DIY route.
It adds a value you just cant buy , even if its actually less than perfect. Y'know ?
Well , you might disagree , but apart fron owt else , I've already spent over 50quids on paint and paraphernalia.
I'm hoping the only thing I contract out is the wheelbuild.
A guy Alan ( @ alan's bikes) uses is dead good. Builds wheels for pro teams , type guy.

Ok thanks.
I'll blog the results.
No post tonight . Big commute tomorrow. Early night .
Probably blog that too. Ha.

If I cock it up , I will.
Like I said , theres another saddle I can use. Its a black San Marco Rolls. Wouldnt look out of place if needs must.
The leather mottled hide effect is the same.

might be worth it you know, his last was far better than his first i seem to remember, he also said something about getting the right vinyl/leather thickness so it could be stretched and shaped and the right contact adhesive and where to start on the saddle etc.

Back