Rusty old Claud?: Any ideas on model or age?

Re:

From what I gather, decals, badges and even equipment, was subject to availability. They could only fit what was in stock and needed to get bikes out of the door, so perhaps unwise to read too much into your decals and bands. I used to think that catalogue descriptions were like the Bible, not so,sometimes I believe no bikes were ever built that exactly mirrored the catalogue specificatio. It was very much a case of you could have what you liked subject to availabilty and certain design criteria.
My own frame is probably the original finish in Dark red, single gold/yellow box lining, similar seat stay eye decoration to yours, no metal head badge, just a Claud Butler multi Colour decal, same as seat tube and with Claud Butler in large script on the down tube.
This was a very basic, low end bike in the range, but does posess a certain charm. Be prepared for a shock when you investigate getting the chroming re done, good job that you are looking at doing the paintwork yourself. Have Fun, it will build up into a nice, interesting machine

I see, yes I think it will make for a great little project. The weight is reasonably light and I am a fan of the lugless look. And basic model it may be but it's still a true Claud Butler, handbuilt during the golden age of British cycling, which gives it charm galore for me!

This frame also has no metal headbadge and has the decals as you describe. Dark red sounds more appealing than the powder blue it came in. I will try and keep the finish as true to the original as possible.
I understand chroming is expensive but it looks so right!

Thanks for all the info. I will post some pics on as progress is hopefully made.

Re:

Pleased to hear you are so enthusiastic about the project.
What sort of restoration do you have in mind, as period correct equipment is becoming more scarse and some prices are ridiculous.
If I can be of any further assistance with advice or even parts, please get in touch

Thanks again Losgaintir,

I will bear that in mind. I have the crankset with pedals and bottom bracket which came with it and it is the exact same one on the 1949 catalogue example.

I have a few '40s and '50s parts such as weinmann wheels, GB brakes and GB quill stem so I suppose I could go down the period correct route which is something I haven't attempted before. I imagine some bits are hard to get hold of.

Kermit, I will check that out regarding a paintjob, sounds very reasonable.

Subscribed.
Looking forward to your progress.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":1u67cp11 said:
LSN Coatings in Castleford do great job for about £40

Just a word of caution, although powder coating is a reasonable priced option and all good if it helps to get a frame back on the road.... but, it will massively de-value your frame and will need chemically removing not shot blasting if someone wants to do a proper paint job.
The 40’s frames are getting rarer every day, & although the detailed fancy bi-laminations catch the eye, I do think the smooth brazed jobs have a certain grace, especially with a bright paint choice.
Check out my Jubilee

Attachments

• EABCE24B-CE18-4348-905E-825FC8961081.jpeg
    EABCE24B-CE18-4348-905E-825FC8961081.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 035B3CEF-63C1-4988-9689-C1B5BCB74409.jpeg
    035B3CEF-63C1-4988-9689-C1B5BCB74409.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 254
PeachyPM

that's a superb paint job there and I agree the smooth lugless finish is a classy look on these vintage frames.
Thanks for the advice on respray options, points taken!

Back