RS Mag 21 disassembled some questions.

Hmm that is definitely 95+, maybe even 96+ as i think the 95 was darker. Those caps look like the ones on my 95, prob the same. They sould be fine unless the internals were changed? I know that my 94 FSX has topcaps that extend about an inch further down to the adjusters

I know that my 94 FSX has topcaps that extend about an inch further down to the adjusters[/quote said:
Now there you go ...a little engineering fault from RS?? I did wonder how its possible to grab the rod correctly with such short adjuster bushings :shock:
By just sling a piece of tubing over the adjuster , so to guide the rod , i think I can solve the problem , but it should be not nescesary to do this.

I just measured my '94 MAG10 tap cap length and it's (the red bit) and it's 19mm long

total length of top cap in side the stanchion is ~32.5mm and first part of the actual hex is ~23mm from the top. So that give 9mm and plenty of overlap.

I can check my MAG21 1994, but as I've said they are the same other than the top cap being adjusted by hand rather than an Allen key (same but gold edge as the '95 you have.)

EDIT/ Worthy note : The red part engages with the rod hex before the screw thread has started to bite, so when screwing the top cap on the 'red bit' rotates in the silver cap while tightening it into the leg /EDIT

Air seals are just over 8mm long by about 9mm diameter.
That is a used one, unfortunately looks torn at both entry and exit points, but I think the exit side of the central 'hole' is recessed to make it thinner in length at that point. Haven't got a picture with me but do have one on another computer.

(note a lot of this detail is if others are reading and for reference)

Attachments

• P1010978.JPG
    P1010978.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,626
94 FSX/Mag- sorry for the horrific quality. im bad at anything artistic

DSCF1305.jpg

manbeer":1hzcncku said:
94 FSX/Mag- sorry for the horrific quality. I'm bad at anything artistic

That's not used on the 1994 MAG btw ;)

That picture is pretty much the same as the MAG20 or the 1993 MAG21 (and the MAG30/1993 MAG10 also used a long sided version as well)

Attachments

• MAG Top Caps.jpg
    MAG Top Caps.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,587
  • Mag caps.jpg
    Mag caps.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,587
AirSeal pictures, note they don't always have the recessed part afaik.

Attachments

• MAG AirValve.jpg
    MAG AirValve.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 613
How did your schrader conversions work out?
Are there any pictures vailable ? I hav done this more than 10 years ago and they leaked... now i would probably do it better :oops:

reetegoed":3tzsakti said:
How did your schrader conversions work out?
Are there any pictures vailable ? I hav done this more than 10 years ago and they leaked... now i would probably do it better :oops:

Well you reminded me with your posts, but I've not got any valves to use yet. Not even one :LOL:

The flaw I've noticed I'll have on my MAG10's is i'll not be able to use and allen key to do the adjustments, may have to fit some '95+ top caps, though I doubt they are easy to come by.

Either way, I was just going to fit the Presta valves through, slap some sealent of some sort and then tighten the clamping nut down on the top (externally).

Back again.
I removed the paint from one of the legs and treated it with alodine...
Anyone knows if alodine works on magnesium?
Anyway , it shines like polished aluminium when rubed , now is it insane if I treat the polished and bare legs with alodine and then coat it with clearcoat (two pack poly)
Its just a thought.....
Actualy I plan to spray the legs with green epoxy primer followed with the gold collor spray followed with the clear coat (that should hold....)
And YES I received the new seals from enduro seals!
I Am loooking forward on bringing this first MAG21 back to life united with my revamped Giant CADEX I am working on..
Numero deux will be on the other CADEX wich will be the Cadex with the original frame designs on it..(see my other posts)

Stupid I did not check this at once........before disassembling the second one, i checked the play on the fork leg :( It's quite substantional...
Now do I might be wrong but when look very closely it seems the play is between the leg and the longer nylon bushing?
replacing this bushing will be the answer?
Are these bushing anywere for sale?
I checked the web , but could find none (ofcourse as no Mag parts are to be found )

Fluffychicken, looking at your pictures you have raw masses of RS parts, do you have some available ?
Questions questions :?

Back