Royce Bottom Bracket Bolts

I have a new pair of Royce titanium crank bolts. Their combined mass is 22g according to the kitchen scales. The scales aren't particularly accurate but if yours measure similar then probably Ti?

Small bit of coke in a glass, connect bolt to positive of 9v battery, connect a piece of non-anodised aluminium to the negative, put them in the coke, (only put the bolt in a little bit or it will need polishing again!).
If it's it it will come out bronze. Make sure the anode and cathode don't touch in the coke. If coke doesn't work them use a baking powder solution.

Looks Stainless to me. Ti always has that dulled look even when polished and that looks clearly silver.

OldFatTi":iob7680e said:
A strong magnet will stick to stainless but not to ti.

The best I have wont stick - but they are only 'home' magnets i.e. not industrial stuff :(

M-Power":iob7680e said:
Looks Stainless to me. Ti always has that dulled look even when polished and that looks clearly silver.

I agree about suspecting they are stainless - I will weigh them at work in the morning :D but disagree about the colour giving it away ...

I have polished Ti and stainless in the same way and it is nigh on impossible to distinguish with the naked eye, never mind trying to capture it on film - I think the angle and what is seen in the reflection can skew a photo easily. Stainless, chrome & Ti :

Polished Ti :

Polished Ti, ally and stainless - the Ti in this one looks more 'silver' than the ally. (Should have wiped the grease marks of first sorry :oops: :LOL:) :

Chris's polished Ti is the same to :

WD :D

Zorro":10243g0g said:
I have a new pair of Royce titanium crank bolts. Their combined mass is 22g according to the kitchen scales. The scales aren't particularly accurate but if yours measure similar then probably Ti?

Perfect post :cool:

As suspected (my ‘hand’ scales must be getting pretty good ! :LOL:), stainless steel – they weighed in at 35g on the post scales at work :D

Thanks all :D

WD :D

Back