Royal Mail and suspension units - A Warning

NeilM":103jnyl0 said:
Pyro Tim":103jnyl0 said:
It's your job to obey the rules of carriage, they are available
I disagree in part; I would expect any carrier to point the rules and restrictions that apply to their service prior to you handing over the package.

How many people have ever read Royal Mails full terms and conditions? Or even realise there are T&C's that have to be complied with.

If an item does not comply, then that should be pointed out at the point of dispatch or at the very least there should be notices that alert the sender to the restrictions.

Over the last five years I have sent hundreds of parcels and packages, from front mechs to whole bikes, not once has anyone showed me a list of restricted items, although they are mentioned on certain web sites.

I was shown a list yesterday. Also had a package returned as "suspected hazardous".

I've been using the PO for years as the local ones are so accommodating and helpful, probably comes from being rural ones that want to stay open, but I've only very recently noticed that they are quizzing me closely on the contents of packages, so I can only assume it's a newish rule, or one they have been told recently to now start enforcing more rigorously.

They do however seem to despair of the silliness of some of it, and I have heard some interesting stories of what they have had to refuse.

How many times?

It's not a new rule. It is an international law, that has been there for years, punishable in this country by up to 5 years in prison or a £5000 fine in this country, to ship dangerous goods without declaring them or mis-declaring them. Frankly, having your forks taken away is small fry. Yes, they are getting hotter on these things now, but it's not new.

This will include deodorant etc, so don't send smellies in the post for xmas either

who do wiggle, crc, etc use to send stuff? the few times I've ordered stuff, it's been delivered by the spanish postal service to me here. granted, I've not bought suspension parts from them, but the sell everything bike related that you can think of and more, so who do they use?

When the new rules came in a few months back the post offices were quizzing me about the contents of every parcel. That lasted about two weeks and they don't bother now.

I see TNT people on their bikes out delivering everyday in most areas of Manchester now. Royal Mail need to sort things out.

Hydraulic brakes would only really be at risk if the oil is corrosive, or a poison
That rules out any DOT brake fluids, then. :? Hope/Formula/Hayes/Avid?
Magura and Shimano are on friendly mineral oil, but RM's not going to be checking...
All the best,

Funny, I had four butane canisters delivered to me by Royal Mail just this week in nothing more than a jiffy bag... I only really needed one, so unless our power supply suddenly gets very bad indeed I shouldn't need to worry about the regs for a long time!

I get spray paints in the Mail all the time?
So what happens if I send a shock to USA to be serviced?
Would I be better asking for fed ex?
How much extra do Royal Mail charge if I send a shock to J TECH?

Back