rounded off screw head

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
I got a rather nice Record front derailleur for pennies because the head of one of the adjuster screws is rounded off.

There's no room to get a pair of pliers on it: any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Too thin to drill and the head is rounded off so a screwdriver can't bite.

On another forum it has been suggested that I cut another slot for the driver, but the screw is recessed on one side, so I can't do that without cutting into the mech.

My camera isn't up to the job of taking a close-up, but this example might help.

It's the lower of the two adjusters and although I've separated that part of the mech from the main body it doesn't help.

There is no room to get a pair of needle-nosed pliers on it and the body stops me cutting another slot in it, so I'm stuck.

You might try getting a torx bit, clamping the part in a vice and hammer it in.

Another option is cutting a slot with a dremel (or similar) cutting disk. You may end up catching the mech a little but you would do considerably less damage than you would cutting a slot with a hacksaw.

I can't see why it would be too thin to drill though, maybe you need to get a smaller bit?

A Dremel might do it if, especially if the blade is small enough.

With hammering a Torx bit in, I'd be concerned about damaging the threads.

The screw is that thin and long, I'd need a bench mounted drill to be sure of getting it straight and not snapping it, which I don't have.

All suggestions much appreciated though!

These are methods that I've used/heard of for motorcycle parts so may not work on smaller bicycle mech screws:

Soak the thread in penetrating oil, if you've not done so already (maybe leave for a day or so).

Get a small centre punch, watchmakers screw driver or other fine pointed tool and a very small hammer. Place the punch on what remains of the screw head off centre, near the radius edge and tap in an anti-clockwise direction. If it starts to move, keep tapping round, but be patient. As more thread is exposed it will get easier and may reach the point where you can grip with pliers.

or

Try glue-ing something to the top of the screw to provide extra shaft length that you can grip or twist with pliers to rotate the screw out. (The usual technique is to weld something on top of a bolt, but the mech is too small for this).

or

Fix the mech in a pillar drill and drill out the centre with a very small drill bit. The edges of the screw may then just fragment and fall out or you can clean the threads with a tap. I wouldn't try this with a hand drill or Dremel. It is too easy for the drill to wander and spoil the thread and the the body of the mech.

It might be worth paying someone like a jeweler to have a go at this for you. They may have equipment that makes it easier (fine drills/files/punches).

Latest posts

Back