Rossin Pursuit Build

Hello all,

I have been a bit quiet on the restoration front but I have some updates.

Its a sad day as the paint on Rossin is no more. I got it blasted with aluminium oxide which was delicate on the lugwork, but managed to get out all the bodyfiller in the fillets. I got fed up with using chemicals as it was a messy job, and it wasn't doing a great job to be honest.

It's fascinating to see the raw steelwork of such a rare beauty. It's also interesting to see the fillets in the main triangles have extra plates on them that curve up to the lugs. Means I wont have to use as much bodyfiller when it comes to fill these back.

The frame is in great condition, apart from the dropouts. They are slightly crushed from excessive wheel tightening. This will be a job for my frame builder to see what he can do to fix.

In other news - My new steel clamps for the handlebar arrived today! Steve from Cofa Engineering http://www.cofa-eng.co.uk/ in Bristol machined them for me. He's a great guy and very helpful. Check out his website if you're looking for custom parts.

So apart from a few small holes that need filling, and the dropouts needing attention, the frame is almost ready to be restored back to it's former glory! Very exciting.

Anyway, here are the photos.

12506047534_6e97c8243a_c.jpg

12505563255_2d23ed032d_c.jpg

12505999644_433557f4fe_c.jpg

12505546285_dafe76d09e_c.jpg

12505512475_03a7190615_c.jpg

12505586005_541e6de051_c.jpg

Looking at the frame you would have thought that the frame builders would have done a neat job
brazing up the in-filled 'aero' parts! But no its just brazed in places! Are these sections to be filled ?

Ian Raleigh":6qt4wst0 said:
Looking at the frame you would have thought that the frame builders would have done a neat job
brazing up the in-filled 'aero' parts! But no its just brazed in places! Are these sections to be filled ?

Hi Ian,
Yes these are the places to be filled. Maybe the spot brazes mean the bodyfiller has something to grip on to?

This is screaming to be clear powder coated and Ti bits. Ok, I admit I'm probably a bit weird and do like raw finish,
industrious, and rat bikes. Don't want to derail your project, just wanted to say it looks great with
all the make-up stripped off it too.

That was an enjoyable half hour reading this thread... I agree, the new paint will more than make up for it's current bare state...

yup, i'm hooked. keep up the good work.
Love the meticulous build up towards the handlebar clamps.

thing of beauty

really nice, i like the ratty look of it.
the steerer tube look quit long for the headtube or is the headset that high?

keep up the good work ;-)

Back