Ron cooper

Re: Ron cooper "First ride"

finbarred":149nd4nw said:
You lucky Bugger! I had a slightly later cooper in the lovely blue (single colour) that your bike has. Lever bosses were brazed and less chrome, but the rest was the same...a really lovely bike to race on. If you ever want to sell this beauty give me a PM!

Thanks your the lucky bugger getting to race on one ;)
NeilM":149nd4nw said:
That's not just a steel frame, that's a hand made steel frame ;)

Yes sorry Neil she is indeed and finely put together :)
Markynag":149nd4nw said:
Very very nice , love the colour , bronze & blue really suits the bike ....
I'd put some tan leather bar tape & matching leather saddle on her ...... Would look stunning with those hoods & classic gum wall tyres .... But hey that's just an opinion ..... & it's looking so nice already
Great work

Thanks I did ponder for a while on bar tape/hoods/saddle colours and after looking at all the lovely bikes on "Rbotm" competition entries and old shots of 80's racers this appeared to be used more often..
It sort of looks a bit wrong but the other combos I seen looked more wrong if you know what I mean ;)
fiks":149nd4nw said:
Non drive has diamond with 3 inside.. Drive side has circle with 0

Right hand crank is 1980, which looks in amazing condition. Left is 1973.

The modern seatpost is with a metal refinisher to be polished to remove logo,s
Not a purist choice but nice and light and I like em..

I'd think you would have no choice but to use a modern one, or maybe an old MTB seatpin. Your frame is actually too small. The amount of exposed seatpost as it is now is probably longer than the whole length of an old seatpost.

I would put the date a bit later to around the mid 80s or later, because of the allen key brakes, under bb cables, full sloping crown. A 1980 frame would more likely to have over bb cables, nutted brakes and a semi-sloping crown.

A couple of other things: the tubing sticker is much older than the frame, and the bb looks quite high.

Thanks for info and thoughts.. I know this is an older frame but did most people not ride really big frames back then with very little seatpost showing ? My modern road bike and cx bike are 54" with 100mm stem(I'm long legged with short torso) and this cooper is a 53" with 110mm stem so feels ok

My 1980 conclusion is I have had correspondence with a cooper owner who worked in a shop who supplied them and his 1982 Ron cooper frame no.842 his having braze on mounts and under bb routing which he remembers from 81 too.. My frame no.502 ..Mine does have few later campagnolo parts on but either way she is
A most comfortable ride..

:)

Just looking at the bike again,Amazing!!! Great find,again, maybe I will see it on the road as I'm in Edinburgh too as you know...cheers..do you know the pubs The Tourmalet and the Ventoux?

JYvdK":zqoejvy5 said:
Just looking at the bike again,Amazing!!! Great find,again, maybe I will see it on the road as I'm in Edinburgh too as you know...cheers..do you know the pubs The Tourmalet and the Ventoux?

I know off them but never been in yet ;)

The owner, Murray, used to run the club nights ''Going Places'' in Edinburgh back in the day, he's a retro cycle man, he's got all the 70's gear etc and often goes to France and they cycle the classic routes; in the Ventoux bar in Edinburgh he's got some nice bikes on the ceiling, including a full Campagnolo Mavic etc Colnago Master, whilst in the Tourmalet he's got a ''Tour de France/ Bernard Hinault shrine'' room, quite interesting...

JYvdK":2pj2bacu said:
The owner, Murray, used to run the club nights ''Going Places'' in Edinburgh back in the day, he's a retro cycle man, he's got all the 70's gear etc and often goes to France and they cycle the classic routes; in the Ventoux bar in Edinburgh he's got some nice bikes on the ceiling, including a full Campagnolo Mavic etc Colnago Master, whilst in the Tourmalet he's got a ''Tour de France/ Bernard Hinault shrine'' room, quite interesting...

:shock: I'll definitely be making a trip soon then :cool:

JYvdK":1lf6jyu9 said:

Good pubs, I've only been in Ventoux a couple of times, and ogled the beautiful Colnago when I was there. The Tourmalet is just round the corner from my house and I pop in for a Guinness or 2 quite often.

I know the owner, maybe we could organise a mini bring your vintage roadbike get together there?
I spoke to him and he is ok with it, he can get some of his vintage road bike friends there as well he says, would be cool..

JYvdK":3qwxw0hq said:
I know the owner, maybe we could organise a mini bring your vintage roadbike get together there?
I spoke to him and he is ok with it, he can get some of his vintage road bike friends there as well he says, would be cool..

Sounds like a plan :cool:

Back