Romani 'Prestige' Road Bike - late 80s

fwiw I'm about to take my Romani frameset to the painters and then build it up.
Mine's a Columbus TSX tubeset (the fully rifled one) and seems to be a top class frame.
It looks quite similar to vicente's.

I've seen a rigid MTB made by Romani too and it looked pure class. Unfortunately, a size & a half too small for me.

The info that came from the annals of bikeforums.net is as follows (whether true or not I do not know):
"
ROMANI:
The information I have gathered goes like this: the company was founded in 1924 by the Romani family in Sala Baganza, Parma Italy. The Romanis were involved throughout the life of the company until production ceased in 1990. At least 80% of the frames that they produced were never branded as 'Romani', but some were stamped somewhere with the Romani signature. They rarely if ever produced whole machines, but rather they were frame-makers who supplied frames to some of the most prestigious marques in the Italian velo pantheon — especially when these other more iconic companies had order sheets that they could not accommodate.

Years ago, Romani frames were marketed by notable bicycle shops in the Western United States. These machines were branded as 'Romani' and gained a reputation for excellent value for the money spent

Their frames were made in various flavours of Columbus as well as Reynolds. And, from my examination of photographs, any two frames made from even different tubing can look virtually the same in detail, lugs and finish. Bikes that were sold with the Romani name were not as expensive as the more lustrous Italian brands, but they never seem to have disappointed anyone who ever owned and rode one.
"

Last edited:
Back