Rod brake, center or side pull?

Seijun

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I recently purchased a 71 Raleigh sports frame. I thought it would be fun to build it into something that looks like it was from the late 30's or early 40's. I would love to add rod brakes to this build. I have been told that it is possible to equip rod brakes to a frame originally deigned for canti brakes. Going on this assumption, what type of rod brake would be more appropriate for the time frame I am aiming at, centerpull or sidepull? Does either style have any significant performance advantages over the other?

Rod brakes are not for a bike you'd ride in traffic. Plus, you would have brazeons left over where the cantis fitted.

If you're going to rebuild the wheels and want the look, why not get some Sturmey Archer drums? You can still have your westwood rims (if you must), but they will more or less stop you.

It is mostly the rod brake levers that I am in love with. I have seen that there are rod drum brakes, but I don't know what parts to look for to set something like that up. The kits online are all for stirrup brakes. I would prefer rod drum brakes if I could get them, though I probably won't be riding the bike much.

As for the brazeons, I could plug them up with a bolt or screw of some kind, I assume (I know very little about bikes, sorry)

I won't tell you what to do. But realistically, you'd need to spend out on all sorts of bits that might not fit anyway.

It would be much, much better to sell the frame you have and buy a rod braked bike.

Rod brakes have a couple of distinct parts that you need to use:

-The handlebars usually incorporate the brake levers and they hinge up and down on the bars on brazed-on bosses. You need these unless you plan to pull the stirrups with cables.

-The front stirrup for rod brakes usually clamps on the forks and is pulled directly from above by a rod from the brake lever. This will be a direct swap.

-The connection to the rear brake stirrup is by two swingers - one behind the headstock on the downtube and the other near the bottom bracket. On the two bike I've had with rod brakes, these have both hinged through drillings in the frame. Unless you drill the frame, you won't be able to run a rear brake unless there is a band-on swinger you can use.

The only other thing I can think of that might catch you out is the rear spacing and if there is enough gap to get the rear stirrup in. But also as chris667 mentioned, they are utterly hopeless as brakes and you'll soon get tired of using them. Any misalignment in the wheel, or corrosion on the rim renders them useless.

Had a bike in the shop with rod brakes and they actually worked rather well. The only bike with rod brakes that I tried that worked but hey it worked. Still I would not bother, more hassle than it worth.

Rod brakes make a polite rubbing sound and occasionally decrease forward acceleration.

I'd go for a set of side pull, these were available in the 30's so would be period, easier to install and able to pull the bike up.

Back