Rocky Mountain performance paint

J3s

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

Can someone give me some info on this ride? I know it's a 1990 Fusion, but I can't find any info about "performance paint" RM.

Thanks...

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,149
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,151
Re:

Performance Paints came in 1992 and was Rocky Mountains 'blurb/branding' for switching to powder coating to make it safer, easier and give a more durable and lighter paint.

This of course is an earlier frame so either they (RM) refurbished it or someone's slapped on some later decals after they had it painted

EDIT after a closer look at the stickers, they look to be the ones used on a Fusion in 1992.

Re:

Thanks..!

So it's a refurbished 1991 Fusion (looking at the parts) with a new paintjob by RM. Didn't see this colorcombination on a RM before.

Re:

Just the decals are off a 1992 Fusion. No way to confirm who did the paint job. It's not a standard one but a custom paint job.

i don't believe that's a Fusion. just because the decals are on it, doesn't necessarily make it so. i don't recall any other models except for the Blizzard coming with a rear noodle guide in the back for the brake like that. and why custom paint such a low end model?

Re:

The frame details are a spot on match for a 1991 fusion as per the catalog photo. In 1990 there was no bazed on noodle and there were double eyelets on the rear DOs and one on the front. By 1992 the fusion sported the somewhat iconic stay above the top tube seat cluster configuration.

As we all know. In these early heady days it would not be unheard of for an early 1992 to differ from later production and catalog photos and paint schemes didn't always match what came off the LBS floor. The 1992 blizzard is a perfect example in that the catalog paint is the less seen scheme (at least amoung those documented on the interweb).

I will put forward the theory for arguments sake. Could this be a frame that was made in the 1991 production run (it's an exact match for '91 afterall) and painted as an example to promote the new paint works, maybe it even was on display at a couple shows, who knows?

Either way it is a 1991ish Fusion with what appears to be a unique (any very cool I might add) paintjob.

Looks like a 20 or 21" also. I would swap my 1991 hammer for this just for the sweet paint.

Re:

It's not a lot like the 1992 bike so that's not really an option.

I'll must say its been repainted and redecaled at some point using whatever stickers where availabnke.

If it is performance painted then it is a poor example, look around the welding area and corners and it is very thin and you can see through it. I've not seen a rocky with that poor finish as standard.

I'll leave it thoose i the know to say exactly what they did with Performance Painting.
To me they are just stickers placed on after a repaint.

Of course it might be a demonstrator, who knows.

Back