Rocky Mountain model/year ID?

Cybertears

Retro Newbie
I managed to score this beast off FB marketplace today. I'd never heard of these bikes over in Australia and there is no serial under the bottom bracket. I was impressed by how high quality it seems, anyone know much about these? Keen to fix it up

Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20220531_005921805.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220531_005921805.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20220531_005931721.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220531_005931721.MP.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20220531_014352971.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220531_014352971.MP.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 70
The fillet brazing makes it a Thunderbolt. This was sold as frame(set) only, but most of the parts I can see fit in time. Bar and stem are definetly replaced.

The fillet brazing makes it a Thunderbolt. This was sold as frame(set) only, but most of the parts I can see fit in time. Bar and stem are definetly replaced.
That makes sense. That is awesome, I'm so stoked and heaps keen to get it fully going again. Sad news the seatpost is rusted to the frame, will have to sort that out.

The fillet brazing is great, it feels very well made.

You've found gold there, that is a highly respected Canadian manufacturer, been in the game for a long time, and still making quality bikes. Thunderbolt was custom order hand brazed, only available as a frame. They made good choices on the build as well, that crank is really nice.

You've found gold there, that is a highly respected Canadian manufacturer, been in the game for a long time, and still making quality bikes. Thunderbolt was custom order hand brazed, only available as a frame. They made good choices on the build as well, that crank is really nice.
Yeah I've been doing a fair bit of research and I'm pretty blown away with what I've come across, seems like an amazing bike. I messaged the guy who gave it away asking about the history, he said it was gifted from a friend, to another friend and eventually him. He thinks it was originally bought around 1998 and his friend paid $5000 Australian. I'm shocked he gave it away but very grateful, I'll give it a good life.

Back