Rock Shox Judy 1996 Rebuild

I usually try to get my hands on a really battered looking hydracoil, if I want to repair a 95-97 Judy. The stanchions fit the old castings perfectly. The indides do, too. With slight modifications. You can make it look perfectly original from the outside while having a more modern, less prone to failure Judy for rather cheap. Compared to the all original alternative, that is.

Very intrigued about this process...

Fancy posting a step-by-step?

Could it be done to an earlier FSX model? Or would need to be 95-97?

I currently have an FSX that needs a service, but also has the pressed crown/steerer, which I need a longer version of.

Debating trying to source and find someone to press out and then replace, or just have someone fabricate an extension to the existing steerer.

But before I commit to either I want to figure out my plan for servicing them!

I'd do as the above first. If the internals or stanchions aren't any good, you'll be buying a new crown for no reason.

Pretty much the above is true, I've had many a set and while some have been fine, others not so much. You never know for sure until you get the uppers and lowers apart.
I’ll try and get them apart at some point and post pictures to gather peoples thoughts. Hopefully I can do the hydracoil upgrade.

I’ll try and get them apart at some point and post pictures to gather peoples thoughts. Hopefully I can do the hydracoil upgrade.
I got the lower legs off last night but need to buy a circlip tool to enable me to remove the cartridges for inspection.
18019736-E48D-4614-98C3-9A4FCB8257CE.jpeg

The tool is the wrong one, I didn’t even realise 😩

I need a squasher not an expander.

6DE9071B-775F-47BF-B8A5-A91DDEF79634.jpeg

8B4134AC-7A88-4F40-8011-D763DE0C8409.jpeg

The elastomers are toast.

karma elastomers anyone? 😆
D5033F48-68BC-4E05-BBD3-FD7AFEE72E9E.jpeg

You can make that tool work but it is not easy. put it into the clip and spready the handles apart. It is not ideal but can work.

Back