Rock Shox Indy Questions.

Mark L

Dirt Disciple
I just bought a pair of NOS Indy SL off ebay after all the years of wanting a pair during my early teens. Feels great to be able to afford the stuff I couldn't as a kid.

Have a few question for you guys familiar with this stuff.

What is the difference between the 1998 and pre-98 model? I am trying to determine what year mine is because page 124 states that you can add an oil bath to the 1998 model and later:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=VPCjSIX ... #PPT100,M1

Also, are the parts on the Type 2 spring stack interchangable between the 98 model and the years prior?

Also, what exactly makes up a long travel kit? At first I thought it was the plastic spacer, but I found out that such was just a spring rate adjuster.

Thanks.

Been looking in my new bible

Easy ID if original decals

97 Indys have one solid band up each leg
98 Indys have a thin band at bottom gap then solid band

97 indys should still have canti hanger + Knurled adjuster

Also, are the parts on the Type 2 spring stack interchangable between the 98 model and the years prior?

1997-98-99 models type 2 spring system (coil and mcu/elastomer) used on

97 indy c, xc , sl
98 indy c, c-lt, xc, sl
jett t2

Also, what exactly makes up a long travel

Still looking!!

Not sure if anyone else is interested, but I did some research and found a great resource:

http://poehali.net/content/b00007/38_Su ... chocks.pdf

It shows how to tear down rebuild, and tune a lot of 97-99 shocks including the indy. Includes diagrams and part numbers for some kits.

I found out that the Indy SL has a friction dampener that the other Indy shocks do not posses. Interesting to know.

Still wondering what the Long Travel Kit is composed of though.

Did some measurements. seems that the max amount of travel on my indy sl is about 5mm less than stated amount of travel that indy c, xc, and sl have. Perhaps this is do the the friction dampner taking up room inside the shock.

Back