Roberts Roughstuff

Re:

watching this one with interest.

I built something similar a little while back around an early 90's mtb frame.

My experiences are that modern short reach /short drop bars are the way forward, I used an ahead stem adapter quill post to enable that, with ahead type spacers making it look less obvious.

I also found flared bars to either be too wide or horribly uncomfortable.

I tried shimano m737 cantis but found the braking to be problematic, even with swiss stop pads so am now using shimano mini v brakes. These perform much better but need to be set close to the rim with sti road levers.

In hindsight I wish I had tried the wider profile cantis like the tektro cr720.

Regarding saddles, I'm using a brooks b17 special, I find wider brooks suit a slightly more upright position whereas the swift and swallow suit road bikes more. I have a sprung brooks but it is just so heavy.

My next evolution is to swap the frame out for an 853 dawes Edge because the bike is just so heavy overall. The existing frame is made from 501 all terrain tubing and the weight seems to make it feel cumbersome.

It's not yet become my one bike does all but it is a capable bike. I'm beginning to think there isn't a one bike that can really cover on and off road without too much compromise, despite the modern gravel bikes hitting the scene.

Re:

Just a few photos of a revised mock-up...
Will take some measurements and try out the position later... Saturday shopping trip calls :facepalm:

Attachments

• 7645004F-1C11-43AD-92D4-B62F482D5C0F.jpeg
    7645004F-1C11-43AD-92D4-B62F482D5C0F.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 384
  • AAE60661-A537-4950-991E-1D78DD190CB2.jpeg
    AAE60661-A537-4950-991E-1D78DD190CB2.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 383
  • 5A7A6AA9-2E33-4213-A9EF-C4237FC10D11.jpeg
    5A7A6AA9-2E33-4213-A9EF-C4237FC10D11.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 384
Re:

Well, a year later and I might get to finish this! Have had other projects, including a garage rebuild and baby (in that order) since my last post on this thread.
Have sourced a 80mm Salsa stem which fits well with the skinny tubes, using a 3T morphe bar for now which gives a flatter transition into the hoods. Feels reasonably comfortable for reach, height etc. Could have another 10-20mm reach but some of this would come with a change of bar should I wish.
Swapped the bb (Royce), have some xt 730 cranks, will probably use these xtr 900 wheels and Compass tyres. Will go with Canti brakes, m900 probably. Shitfers will be either the Paul thumbies mounts on the bar or barends (both use the same actual shifter) - also have some Kelley ones which would use a downtube shifter adjacent to the brake, but on another bike I’ve not been convinced by these.
Need to tap through all the bottle and guard/rack mounts before I cable up.
Cheers!

Edit : seat needed nose up a bit, raising 1cm and sliding back (as it’s an in-line post) which has added 10mm to the reach. So not far off where I should be comfortable.

Attachments

• 6FD488FF-67FF-449C-98F3-E42A795788BF.jpeg
    6FD488FF-67FF-449C-98F3-E42A795788BF.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 264
I wanted to hate the dropped bars. But they look really good! Loving the springy brooks - wish you’d left it on - gives it more of an eccentric yet original and very cool look

Another couple of years pass (!) and I wanted to try this out properly for a few reasons.
After all that delay, it only took a couple of evenings in the garage and the parts are swapped from my Cumbria (which is being sold).
Looks an odd shape, I’d prefer a little larger but the main contact points work… could have more rise and length in the stem. Will have a quick spin tomorrow. 1BA76AE6-58EE-429A-A783-04522B24256D.jpeg

Last edited:
I would get rid of that road bar in seconds and install a dirt drop but h bars are personal choice/ comfort etc... I have used dirt drop bars and love them. Ergo road bars otoh... but i digress. Fit is perfect w/ no drop from saddle to top of the bars. That´s a very very cool bike you have there. Timeless!

That´s a very very cool bike you have there. Timeless!
I agree with the above, so many drop bar mtb’s look like they’ve been thrown together - this one looks perfect. Maybe it’s the sloping top tube? At any rate - it’s gorgeous, love the colour, component choice, and the fact you went for downtube shifters. A long while in the making perhaps, but a well considered and executed build. Good job. 👍

Appreciate your thoughts, and cheers for the positive comments.
I do have a dirt drop here, so might try that out too. Got the whole 25.4mm vs 26.0 going on so would need an alternative stem, plus would probably move to bar-end shifters in that event.
Agree that the seat/bar heights look reasonable.

I agree with the above, so many drop bar mtb’s look like they’ve been thrown together - this one looks perfect. Maybe it’s the sloping top tube? At any rate - it’s gorgeous, love the colour, component choice, and the fact you went for downtube shifters. A long while in the making perhaps, but a well considered and executed build. Good job. 👍
I think it´s the long steering tube of the frame which makes it look coherent? Anyway, this is one understatedly sexy looking bike!

Appreciate your thoughts, and cheers for the positive comments.
I do have a dirt drop here, so might try that out too. Got the whole 25.4mm vs 26.0 going on so would need an alternative stem, plus would probably move to bar-end shifters in that event.
Agree that the seat/bar heights look reasonable.
There are shims around to take care of the diff. bar widths. Soma sells them. Dirt drops are wide and shallow; they make your upper body work better on singletrack giving more control when mountain biking. Road bars are made for steep angled road bikes where your legs and hips do all the work on smooth tarmac. I am sure a lot of you will disagree; that´s my experience.

Back